Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

been reading that it is okay to leave the battery on a trickle charge over winter, is this okay?

also, i believe that there are points on the car to connect the charger to, other than the battery itself, is this correct please, and if so where?

dont want to do any damage!!

thanks

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Hi Steve, as long as you use a charger that is designed to be connected permanently, you shouldn't have a problem - I leave my SLK and bikes connected all winter, and never had a problem yet.

Not sure on the R170, but on the R171 there is a +ve connector under a red flap near the front RHS strut (on the other side on LHD cars).

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Corkscrew would leave the battery trickle charger for 6 months when he is overseas with no problems. You would want to use a "smart" battery charger that can go from regular charge to trickle charge to maintenance mode as needed. Some brands include CTek and Battery Tender.

Reactions: Woolly

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I have mine connected 2 to 3 months at a time, been doing that for 4 years now, no problems.

·
Registered 2003 SLK32 AMG
15 Posts
or you can be like me, i hook my trickle charger to the garage light with one of those light socket to plug adapter. this way my battery gets a little charge every time i use the garage door opener.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My car is berthed outside so I chose the solar option - thanks for all those who have provided information on the various issues.

I've created a permanent connection point to my battery with a fused, capped 12V female plug which exits the engine cavity out in the direction of the windscreen. Normally it is tucked and lightly cable-tied out of the weather alongside the black fin that runs across the car below both windscreen wipers (visible when you open the bonnet). The plug has just enough cable length to be accessible from above when removed from its cable tie and pointed directly up the windscreen.

When I go away for a week or more, I use a 10W solar panel (10W Solar Cell solar panel 10Watt 12 Volt Garden Fountain pond Battery Charger +Diode-in Solar Panel from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group) connected in line with a solar charge regulator (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3A-6V-12V-PWM-Solar-Panel-Light-Controller-Battery-Charge-Regulator-Intelligent/32643474438.html). There's enough length in the panel cables to run it through a small hole in my car cover, and strategic strips of velcro keep the panel in place whatever the wind does.

Total cost of this entire setup was about $US35 delivered - mainly the panel - and about an hour's work.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
battery care

Another vote for the Optimate, we have the same set up as Wolley, As soon as the salt season starts our Honda VFR and SLK are connected up to the Optimate and we have never had any trouble with the batteries over the winter months.R)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.