Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working my way through the little niggles - fixed a leaking roof seal by removing, cleaning and reapplying with some extra silicone grease to ensure that everything's nice and supple.

Next problem is a gear shift problem I think. Before I start pulling stuff apart I thought I'd check the collective expertise.

Only intermittently starting when in Park but will usually start either after a bit of shifting between Park and Neutral or simply leaving in neutral. If I've understood the result of my searches, this could mean a dodgy neutral safety switch. If so, exactly where am I supposed to be looking? Most of the threads I turned up are so old that they no longer have their images.

I've also noticed that the indicator on the dashboard of the relevant gear (P, R, D etc) isn't faithfully repeating the position of the selector. In particular, often still showing R when the lever is in Park. Does that suggest the problem is more likely in the cabin and I'm going to have to dismantle the centre console and inspect the selector mechanism?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,347 Posts
Working my way through the little niggles - fixed a leaking roof seal by removing, cleaning and reapplying with some extra silicone grease to ensure that everything's nice and supple.

Next problem is a gear shift problem I think. Before I start pulling stuff apart I thought I'd check the collective expertise.

Only intermittently starting when in Park but will usually start either after a bit of shifting between Park and Neutral or simply leaving in neutral. If I've understood the result of my searches, this could mean a dodgy neutral safety switch. If so, exactly where am I supposed to be looking? Most of the threads I turned up are so old that they no longer have their images.

I've also noticed that the indicator on the dashboard of the relevant gear (P, R, D etc) isn't faithfully repeating the position of the selector. In particular, often still showing R when the lever is in Park. Does that suggest the problem is more likely in the cabin and I'm going to have to dismantle the centre console and inspect the selector mechanism?

@duncanj

Here are a couple documents that may help you.

Shifter removal:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mB0u_hOGAyJ2f6UAGXp7pkD5taYX2A0S/view?usp=sharing

Shifter disassembly:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pu-tM4tG7kRgJSbnvKFszL94oQcllQT_/view?usp=sharing

The part that may be your problem child is S16/10 and is called the Gear Recognition Switch, part number (confirm this before you purchase) 210 545 13 32.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
Suspect it will only start if dash display shows "P" or "N", is not really a simple NSS , more a number of things have to vote (shifter, brake sw, etc) and the computer decides. Shifter communicates via the can bus. A good Merc scanner (e.g. iCarSoft MB-II) can tell you what gear it thinks it is in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After removing the shifter to the kitchen table and fully dismantling, it became apparent that there had been a problem with the shifter in a previous life - hints of the coffee in the shifter issue.

Naturally it is the tiptronic box so the most electronics but we hosed it all down with switch cleaner and rebuilt it.

Reinstalled the shifter and result. The shifter agrees with the dash display and (so far) the car starts first time. Sadly the D on the top of the shifter still doesn't light up but you can't have everything in life.

Also replaced the bush at the same time as it crumbled into pieces during removal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.