Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

been to my local MB dealer today and while I was talking to one of their mechanics I thought it's a good Idea to ask them to check fluid levels and tire pressure which they promptly did but when the guy returned he said the tire pressure were too low (35psi) on all four wheels. He said MB would recommend 39 psi on all four tires

This confuses me because the sticker inside the petrol flap suggests otherwise

perhaps someone can shed a light on this

thanks
Phil

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,389 Posts
they are always wrong and always adjust mine even after i drove 30 mins to their shop! just check it cold and put what the plate by the door recommends

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Anyone aware of any change in the cold tire pressure? What is it for the R172?

39psi may be for a warmed-up tire (cold tire pressure + 4 psi).

Reactions: Phil.UK

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone aware of any change in the cold tire pressure? What is it for the R172?

39psi may be for a warmed-up tire (cold tire pressure + 4 psi).
R171,and Yes I'm aware of that. The car stood for about two hours.is that enough for the tires to cool down? What I don't understand is why a Mb mechanic would recommend 39 psi and inflate the tires to 39 when it is clearly stated that the pressure should be between 34- psi 36

Phil

·
98,389 Posts
they all have their own ideas on what to set it at. 3 hours is what i usually wait or first thing in the morning

·
98,389 Posts
and if they are nitrogen, that's another story!

·
Registered
636 Posts
From Continental Tires company website: (for ppl with continental tires)
The air pressure listed on the side of your tire is NOT the correct air pressure for your vehicle. That number is the maximum air pressure for the tire.
The correct tire pressure can be found in the following places:

• in the car's owner manual
  • gas tank lid
  • driver's side door's edge
  • door post
When checking and adjusting tire pressure, the following should be kept in mind:
  • Check the air pressure when the tire is cold - tires become hot even after driving just a mile. If you must drive to add air, check your air pressure before you leave. Air pressure changes 1-2 pounds for every 10 degrees of temperature change. Air pressure goes up in warm weather and down in cold weather.
  • Tire pressure must be the same on the tires of each axle, but may be different on the front and rear axle.
Enjoy,
Dave

·
Registered
902 Posts
Get a better tire gauge pressure and check it yourself and follow what is says on the sticker. What is good about nitrogen is you don't to check your tires more often because it has bigger molecule and the pressure stay thesame longer than air. The life of the tires last longer since it don't over heat.

·
Registered 2016 SLC300
253 Posts
OMG!
Glad this subject has come up! The sticker on our car has a guide of 31PSI on the front and 33PSI on the rears.

I making a quantum leap with the following and supposed MB approach, when I made inquires about shocks and pads with the distributor about 6 months ago, I got the usual type of response which was 'we rather not fit the sought after (item*) because' .......blah, blah. In this instance it was stated that all the additional extras added to the standard car would have been put into the calculation to set the height of the car!!
If that is true then I would have to assume that in addition to the tire type the tire pressures for each and every single SLK will have it's own specific tire pressure. Hence the various stickers indicators on each car. So it may be possible that the PSI of the initial inquire could be 39 PSI, particularly if the spec of the car has been changed over time.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
That's laughable... I would imagine the spec'd tire pressure will take care of the range from ZFW (ie the empty weight of the car) up to the GVW (maximum load the car is rated for...plus some...cuz they ARE engineers).

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Hello everyone,

been to my local MB dealer today and while I was talking to one of their mechanics I thought it's a good Idea to ask them to check fluid levels and tire pressure which they promptly did but when the guy returned he said the tire pressure were too low (35psi) on all four wheels. He said MB would recommend 39 psi on all four tires

This confuses me because the sticker inside the petrol flap suggests otherwise

perhaps someone can shed a light on this

thanks
Phil
39 psi is far too high. Be guided by the sticker inside the fuel filler flap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.