Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced having condensation on the underside of their R170 boot (trunk) lid?
Is their normally a sound proofing muffler / insulator pad clipped under here as with the bonnet?
I am finding some minor corrosion marks beginning to start and don't want to see these get any worse.
Does anyone think its a case of spraying with Waxoyl or similar?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,411 Posts
normally an insulator pad there

·
Registered
527 Posts
Would you mind posting a couple of pics?

As for the padding, I don't think the R170 has any for the trunk lid, or at least the ones I've seen.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,411 Posts
sorry, thought i read hood

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Hi Dave, check out the spare wheel well to see if it's like a swimming pool - it's not unusual for leaks into the boot area. If you find water in there, search the forum for blocked boot/trunk drains.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
May have crack in rubber seal allowing moisture inside.:confused:

Just a guess on my part.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've got the same and a dry wheel well. I'ts actually starting to corrode so I'm getting out the fine wet n dry and the matt black spray....

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just had a good cleanup of all the boot/hardtop seals. There was green mould everywhere in the rubber channels so I made up some mild bleach mix with water and some dishwashing liquid. Cleaned it all out, did the drain holes, tried to get a flexible platic rod all the way through but I think theyre exiting into the skirt as per previous post here. Anyway they re draining. Rinsed and dried it all then looked at the inside boot lid, it seems what I thought was corrosion was the residue of the mould gone brown so again using the bleach/water/soap scrubbed it all off, rinsed and all is well...hopefully.

I think the UK winter here just got into it, there was snow which I assume shrunk the seals allowing water in- no garage. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check the seals-mine did the same, there was loads of condensation within the boot. This means water is getting in. I had to replace one seal (the long complex one that is nearest the rear window) and I removed the other and thoroughly cleaned it. Both rubber seals were then silicon sealed into place on the car. The boot/trunk is now dry as a bone.

Van

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.