Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the many mods done by the PO was to fix the middle of the three panels that make up the door cards with a small screw at the leading edge. This I believe is probably normally glued? The trailing edge does actually come with a screw as standard. Photos attached. Now I'm not sure what happens when a side air bag blows but something has to give. Does screwing down the leading edge compromise anything? I could glue it back but then I'd have to fill the hole di dah di dah.... It actually looks fairly neat as it is.

P̶.̶S̶.̶ ̶S̶e̶c̶o̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶r̶o̶t̶a̶t̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶P̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶r̶o̶i̶d̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶n̶e̶?̶

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aye, but there is lots of metal in the panel and the stray screw is tucked behind the door frame when the door is closed. But I take your point.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I am not familiar with the R170, is the side air bag mounted on door card? In the R171, the side airbag is located at the lateral part of the driver and passenger seats.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's mounted on the door itself. So when it goes off it has to exit through the door card or out of the top of the card. It should be obvious but I'm missing something.......

·
Registered
842 Posts
One of the many mods done by the PO was to fix the middle of the three panels that make up the door cards with a small screw at the leading edge. This I believe is probably normally glued? The trailing edge does actually come with a screw as standard. Photos attached. Now I'm not sure what happens when a side air bag blows but something has to give. Does screwing down the leading edge compromise anything? I could glue it back but then I'd have to fill the hole di dah di dah.... It actually looks fairly neat as it is.

P̶.̶S̶.̶ ̶S̶e̶c̶o̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶r̶o̶t̶a̶t̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶P̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶r̶o̶i̶d̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶n̶e̶?̶

I would think not in this case as it is on the edge. We made cover stock for instrument panels and door panels (cards as you call them) and the way they work is there is a line in the cover that when the pressure from the expanding bag inside hits it splits and released the bag. It is called a parting line or tear seal line.

The bag is behind the face of the card rearward of the door handle. It is not a good idea to be putting any screws in the surface of the door panel.
It is also not a good idea to paint the door panel as it changes the character of the tear seal line and the bag may not deploy properly. In some jurisdictions it is illegal to paint any surface which contains an air bag.

The real issue with our cars is that the last of them built in 2004 are now 15 yr old and the airbags in theory should be replaced but I do not know anyone who has done so.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you @Alex 3. Answered my question and also solves another issue, namely whether or not to paint the panels. The rest of the interior is repainted and I was very much in two minds as to whether to paint the panels.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Hi,

I wouldn't worry about it, as has been pointed out the Squibs have an expiry date, and as the newest of R170's is now almost 16 years old I seriously doubt they will deploy anyway :wink:

I once crashed a Ford Scorpio Cosworth very very hard front end, it was my own 6 year old Car, I'd had it from 3 months old, (ex Ford Demo) ;)

It had absolutely no faults in SRS Systems, (or any others), no Airbags deployed during the crash !!

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Hi,

I wouldn't worry about it, as has been pointed out the Squibs have an expiry date, and as the newest of R170's is now almost 16 years old I seriously doubt they will deploy anyway :wink:

I once crashed a Ford Scorpio Cosworth very very hard front end, it was my own 6 year old Car, I'd had it from 3 months old, (ex Ford Demo) ;)

It had absolutely no faults in SRS Systems, (or any others), no Airbags deployed during the crash !!

HTH, Cheers Dave
That's comforting!! :surprise:

It's a rather drastic way to test your air bags though.:wink: Were they Takata?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Just to complete things. One photo shows the air bag unit and the other the corresponding section of panel with a cut line more or less along the centre. Now to put it all back together. Every single clip has become unglued.
That happens, it'll keep you busy for a day or two .. or three .. >:D

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
That's comforting!! :surprise:

It's a rather drastic way to test your air bags though.:wink: Were they Takata?
Hi,

No idea, I gave the Car to a scrappy ...............

TBH I was glad they didn't go off, Ok so I got a bruise from the seat belt, but at least I didn't get the burns and shrapnel cuts from when the bloody things do deploy, I've seen a few folks faces after they have gone off, makes a right mess :(

The only thing I am really glad was that Mel wasn't in the Car with me, I got a split second to steer right slightly before impact so it was the passenger Side that took the brunt of the impact :surprise:

And yeah I was "possibly maybe can't remember etc etc" doing "a tad" over the Dual Carriageway Speed Limit as I exited it :grin: but it didn't stop the stupid geriatric old git turning into the no entry slip road and trying to drive the wrong way up a motorway and so causing the accident :(

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi,

HTH, Cheers Dave
'

War story time. In 2007 my late wife got our 2003 E320 clobbered from the side. The Honda Accord went in between the left front tire and the edge of the fender in front of the wheel. It basically wiped the front off. Air bags deployed as follows: Driver's Head, Driver's seat, driver side rear passenger head and seat, steering wheel. In this case super sensitive. My mistake was not insisting they write it off. I did insist on OEM parts which when all was said and done cost them $26K CDN for parts alone, the headliner had to come out which meant the rear window came out and the harness destroyed, A new headlight assembly $2200 each. Car rental was 8 weeks. Dumb on their part and dumb on mine. Never again. On the other hand, nobody was hurt so I guess that is the point.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Hi,

/\/\/\ That sounds about right, IIRC the lifespan figures I have seen discussed is circa 5 years, so my Airbags were 6 years old, yours were 4 years old, and thankfully they did their job ;)

Cheers Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts