Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GPS looses satellites and I'm pretty sure that it's the antenna itself or the connection to the control box. It usually happens after a visit to the clay pigeon club after a 1/2 mile of farm track ( at 1 to 2 mph I hasten to add ) the signal dissappears and will take either the return trip or a couple of days of driving on potholed Sussex roads to come back!

Found the GPS antenna behind the rear view mirror!

The GPS 'control unit' is contained within the DVD box in the boot I think.

Anyone know how to diagnose connectivity issues between the two? Is the GPS antenna a known problem?

i have a stack of GPS parts having worked on some other nav systems so I could probably fix or substitute whatever needs replacing.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
On an R171, it's just a straight (micro) co-ax cable from the antenna (in the mirror housing ), down an A-pilar to the back of the COMAND head unit. Unless you have a fault in the cable itself, the best you can do is check the terminals.

I won't preach to the afflicted, but, you're not parked up under any trees etc., that will stop the signal?

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On an R171, it's just a straight (micro) co-ax cable from the antenna (in the mirror housing ), down an A-pilar to the back of the COMAND head unit. Unless you have a fault in the cable itself, the best you can do is check the terminals.

I won't preach to the afflicted, but, you're not parked up under any trees etc., that will stop the signal?
Nope no cover and it sometimes takes days to recover. Usually after a bit of rough road. I suspect it's a poor antenna connection because I monitor it in the hidden satellite monitoring page and get long periods of 0 or 1 sat in view. Using a handheld GPS at the same time I can usually see 8 or more above the horizon at the same time.

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
Evening..

Probably a duff GPS antenna or bad connection - may be worth popping the headunit (or DVD unit) out to check the connection

Cheers
Sean

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Ah, it runs to the boot to the navidrive, not the back of the head unit, but otherwise all the above suggestions are valid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.