Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from a client and was behind a (I think) SLK55 AMG. Dual exhausts. Looked just like mine (sort of).

Is there a big difference between the 280- 215 HP and that one? If so how? 0 to 60 I know...

JOEVEE:smile:

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,096 Posts
yes about $20000 difference and a V8 and the world of difference! read below

Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Models of the new SLK include:
SLK 200 Kompressor – 1.8 L 120 kW (163 PS; 161 hp) I4 supercharged engine, 0–100 km/h (62 mph) 7.9 seconds, top speed of 143 mph. (not available in Canada and the United States)
SLK 300 (known as SLK 280 in some markets) – 3.0 L (2996 cc) 170 kW (231 PS; 228 hp) double overhead cam V6 engine, 0–100 km/h (62 mph) 6.3 seconds, top speed 155 mph. (starting in 2006 model year)
SLK 350 – new 3.5 L (3498 cc) 200 kW (272 PS; 268 hp) double overhead cam V6 engine, 0–100 km/h (62 mph) 5.4 seconds, top speed 155 mph ou 250 km/h(electronically limited).
SLK 55 AMG – 5.4 L (5439 cc) 265 kW (360 PS; 355 hp) V8 engine, 0–100 km/h (62 mph) 4.9 seconds, top speed 155 mph (249 km/h).

check the brochure Joe

Mercedes Brochure Archive

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,030 Posts
Just came back from a client and was behind a (I think) SLK55 AMG. Dual exhausts. Looked just like mine (sort of).

Is there a big difference between the 280- 215 HP and that one? If so how? 0 to 60 I know...

JOEVEE:smile:
Just a little...>:D

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,411 Posts
Find one on a used car lot and take it for a test drive... then you can judge the difference for yourself! :D

·
1,743 Posts
Hi All
@JOEVEE. Take no notice of the snake oil sellers above , it's all just smoke & mirrors , All we are buying is a limited run of rear badges & two extra pipes out back , keep your money in your pocket .

Cheers

Andy

P.s. When I say it's all smoke & mirrors , thats smoke from the tyres & object start to get very small in your mirrors very quickly .

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
Sure there's a difference...the folks who opt for the big motor not only haul around at least 25% more cylinders than necessary, they are also stuck with only two pedals and a transmission that believes it can think for itself!>:D

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,096 Posts
There's one of them MT boys spouting off again! :D
Whar be that other one from California?

·
142 Posts
no one mentioned the glorious sound that comes from those quad exhausts! There is nothing else quite like it. I was seriously considering the beautiful SLK350 V6 till one of the members in the club let me drive their AMG. I went straight out and bought the AMG and love it every time I have the privilege and opportunity to drive it. I am not sure whether it is the same in all markets, however there is a lot more to the AMG version than just a V8 motor.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, there are qualitative and quantitative differences between the 55 and the smaller engine versions; one of them is torque at start, and another is sustained acceleration as speed builds, and passing power. There are also suspension differences and standard option differences with the base versions of each. The V8 55 will also go faster than the 155 mph electronic limiter if the right sport options were included, or aftermarket options are installed, not that that is important in the USA for road use. It is sort of like the performance of a base model Corvette of similar model year, with the attraction of the retractable metal top.

We had a 230SLK with the supercharged 4-cyl engine before getting the SLK-55. It was a totally different driving experience, with the typical "no guts" feeling of small-displacement European engines accelerating off from a traffic light. The 55 will get up and go fast enough for any practical traffic situation that does not also include a car with red and blue lights on the roof nearby. I had planned on buying one last Corvette before throwing in the towel and going to an electric car for my final days, but I now think that this one will do, so long as it remains reliable and trustworthy for road trips.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
Yes, there are qualitative and quantitative differences between the 55 and the smaller engine versions.
Very true. But that's where things get subjective, especially in markets where fuel is expensive or where engines are taxed by displacement. The base AMG will be loaded with gadget features which are optional on the other trim lines. As you note, suspension is different but if it's the handling you want your dealer parts counter can order every bit of it and have it fitted to any other car from the same model range. Nothing will touch the AMG for acceleration, but that does come at a cost at the pump. Many will say that is immaterial; if you can afford the AMG then you can afford the gas. While that's certainly true of the owner who orders his $75k car brand new, it may be less true of a prospective owner of that same car on the used market several years down the line. And as one of those MT boys, as Jeff puts it, you can't get one of those with the big engine. Only the engine is hand-built by one technician, everything else rides the same production line as any other SLK. So yes, the AMG is special, but it still isn't the right choice for everyone. Would I have one if I could afford it? Yeah, probably...but I wouldn't give up my small V6 with the stick. There's worse things than dreaming of two very different SLKs in the garage, I suppose!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
My 350 is just fine, an absolutely great little car, it can go from zero to flashing Red/Blue lights in just a few seconds, and then me giving all my paper work over to the very nice young police officer at my window. But I must admit I personally regret not going with the 55 AMG from the get-go. However, that will indeed change in the next couple of years. I think I will wait to see what the new SLCs have to offer, in the AMG line, and take the plunge then.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK55 AMG
1,891 Posts
My 350 is just fine, an absolutely great little car, it can go from zero to flashing Red/Blue lights in just a few seconds, and then me giving all my paper work over to the very nice young police officer at my window. But I must admit I personally regret not going with the 55 AMG from the get-go. However, that will indeed change in the next couple of years. I think I will wait to see what the new SLCs have to offer, in the AMG line, and take the plunge then.
503bhp 4ltr twin turbo V8 I expect........
TonyS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.