Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shortly after returning from a road trip last October, the Comand System radio would only pick one station and even at that, very poorly. Over the last week or so, the starter seemed to be turning the engine over a little slower than usual. Tuesday I was cleaning the interior, running the vacuum with the key on. Attempted to start the car to put the top back up and pull back into the carport, and it barely turned the engine over. I set up the battery charger for a couple of hours and when leaving for work the next morning, my radio was back!
Could a weak battery have been causing the issue with my Comand System function?

·
Founding Member 2006
109,652 Posts
fixed your spelling. one 'm'
COMAND stands for Cockpit Management and Data system.

·
Founding Member 2006
109,652 Posts
yes
weak bad dead batteries cause many electrical gremlins
and charging a bad/dying battery does not accomplish anything

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes
weak bad dead batteries cause many electrical gremlins
and charging a bad/dying battery does not accomplish anything
Going to have a load test on the battery and an alternator output check. I agree, a sulphated battery is a bad battery and needs replacement.
Here's hoping it's a bad battery and not the alternator.
Thanks, I had no idea COMAND was an anacronym. Cool.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since recharging the battery two weeks ago, everythings been good. I did have the battery checked and it's good. Doggone gremlins!

·
*Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG w/P30
1,325 Posts
Going to have a load test on the battery and an alternator output check. I agree, a sulphated battery is a bad battery and needs replacement.
Here's hoping it's a bad battery and not the alternator.
Thanks, I had no idea COMAND was an anacronym. Cool.
Have you looked for an age sticker on the battery? Consensus is 3-5 yr is typical but I have had batteries last 6-7. However, these cars seem more sensitive so if it if 3-5 yr old regardless of how well it load tests I would replace it. If Bear in mind there are lots of batteries out there that have superior service life to an OEM battery.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you looked for an age sticker on the battery? Consensus is 3-5 yr is typical but I have had batteries last 6-7. However, these cars seem more sensitive so if it if 3-5 yr old regardless of how well it load tests I would replace it. If Bear in mind there are lots of batteries out there that have superior service life to an OEM battery.
I'll check.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
38,660 Posts
Be aware that the roof uses a lot of juice.
So does starting.

So, low battery, just started and use the roof then you'd need a minimum of 10 to 20 miles to put the power back, without heater, lights etc.

Many of us use a ctek to treat the battery to a top up.
No need to access the battery.
Opposite side to battery is a small box with red top. Just flip to uncover. This is positive connection.
For a negative/earth just connect to one of the bolts on top of suspension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts