Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:

The one part of my car's interior that isn't perfect is the COMAND screen. It doesn't look scratched, but it does look smudged. I tried a little water on my finger to see if that would take it off, but it doesn't. The owners manual says "don't use any liquids or cleaning agents", but use microfiber towel and light pressure. This kind of flies in the face of the "purple stuff" Jeff recommended in an old thread.

Any recommendations about how to clean the screen? I'm attaching a photo to show you what it looks like. It shows up in certain light conditions, but not all.

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,846 Posts
Hi Jim. The purple stuff cleaned my screen but after 8 years the screen started to show its age.

i used a non micofiber, no streak 'cloth'. if you work at it, it will get clean.

i 'scrapped' what was left off of it and then tried some recommend led covers but they were always 'stick on' and always got bubbles

so i made my own screen.
I went to office depot/staples/walmart and found those document protectors you used to hand reports in in school. I measured, cut and stuck it in the perimeter and looks great. try to find the kind that is not clear but non glare.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Every car with a Comand screen I owned looked streaked. I wound up taking the coating off with a plastic polish. I tried the plastic overlays but it looks like a plastic overlay. I just dont put anything on it at this point and it seems to work fine.
Let me know if you want to know the plastic polish and I will run out to the garage and find out.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
As the guys have said, I initially thought the screen was dirty, but it was the coating coming off.

I too tried a so say quality anti-glare stick on screen, which didn't work that great and eventually came off after a year being in the sun for a bit.

I have also taken all the coating off and it looks much better. I just used window cleaner.

I haven't noticed much difference with glare. Of course that may be just sun in the UK :laugh:

·
92,846 Posts
Every car with a Comand screen I owned looked streaked. I wound up taking the coating off with a plastic polish. I tried the plastic overlays but it looks like a plastic overlay. I just dont put anything on it at this point and it seems to work fine.
Let me know if you want to know the plastic polish and I will run out to the garage and find out.
did you say 'Command'? with 2 'ms'?

I will edit it for you and for newbies:

Cockpit Management and Data system - COMAND for short

·
92,846 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boy, it sure looks just dirty, not like the coating is coming off. It actually looks like someone tried to clean it with something unsuited to the task while they were detailing it to sell (the rest of the interior looks showroom new). I'll go at it with microfiber and something really mild to start with, see if I can make some progress.

Thanks all....

·
92,846 Posts
and Comand has 1 'm' :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts