Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 2011 SLK350
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a 2011 350 with comand. I can connect perfectly well and look at local weather and poi etc but when I try to use the browser all I get is 'not supported' message (see picture). Is this a comand version problem? Could it be resolved with an update? Cheers
20200329_095636.jpg

·
* Premium Member
2012 SLK55 AMG
8,563 Posts
Mine is a 2012 SLK55 with the same Comand NTG4.5 Generation 1 as yours updated with the latest version of firmware. I just went to my car and checked. My unit is also displaying the same message as yours. The Generation 2 version of the NTG4.5 uses exactly the same Hardware as the Gen1 version. However Mercedes refuse point blank to upgrade my set up to the later version. @Wilhelm Sorban has successfully upgraded his Generation1 Unit to Generation2 by using the latest telematics DVD, Vediamo and Star/DAS. Wilhelm has your browser in your Gen2 version also been discontinued on your unit? If it is still functioning it will provide me with more ammunition to challenge Mercedes.
DSC_0100(1) (850 x 478).jpg

Reactions: Meek

·
*Premium Member
2011 SLK250
598 Posts
The update I did requires Vediamo. Dealerships don't use Vediamo. They only use Xentry, which uses a shiny interface, and people are confortable using it.

·
* Premium Member
2012 SLK55 AMG
8,563 Posts
The update I did requires Vediamo. Dealerships don't use Vediamo. They only use Xentry, which uses a shiny interface, and people are confortable using it.
Hello Wilhem. Have you checked to see if your browser is still working?

·
* Premium Member 2018 SLC43
3,721 Posts
Funny enough due to Covid-19, last week I was sitting in My R172, heated seat on, listening to some music & surfing through all the COMAND Menue's seeing what all the different options do, as I never get a chance when I'm driving the the car...!!

But I tried the COMAND Web Browser when I first got the car:
....as the one useful site that I would like up while driving an open top Sports Car:
Met Office Rain Radar: Rainfall Radar - Met Office
...didn't work or wouldn't connect to My phone, so never bothered with it since, as We both have smart phones...!!

Currently My R172 is safely tucked up in storage, as I didn't want it sitting out in the sun for 12 weeks, with little chance of being used - But I will check the Browser, next time I need to do an Elderly Supply run..! :cool:

I think @40ina43 has a Newer Face Lift R172 than mine?
or @Mealor has a MY 2018, the same as mine (y)

·
* Registered
2013 SLK350
2,196 Posts
I have NTG 4.5 Gen2 in my 2013 and my internet browser does NOT work.

Reactions: MartinatMersea

·
* Premium Member
2012 SLK55 AMG
8,563 Posts
Same thing on mine, 2016.
It is pretty poor that you have a 4 year old vehicle and the internet web browser is no longer supported. My understanding is that the NTG Comand online units in our cars are warranted items irrelevant of the age of the vehicle and therefore Mercedes have some explaining to do. There are more serious things happening in the world at the moment but when things get back to normal I will be pursuing this with the UK motoring ombudsman.

·
* Premium Member 2014 SLK200
3,314 Posts
Found this response to a complaint regarding the Comand browser on another MB forum:

"Thank you for contacting Mercedes me connect regarding the removal of the freebrowsing.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

This decision to disable the freebrowsing has been taken by Daimler AG and will be definitive.Unfortunately, we are unable to comment this decision.

The web radio and all other services which need data bundle are of course still available.

I remain at your disposal for any further requirements and I wish you a nice day.

Best regards,"

And a further reply:

Thank you for your feedback and I'm really sorry to learn about your dissatisfaction regarding this topic.

Some telematics generations are facing technical constraints regarding the so-called "Free Browsing Functionality", which is integrated in the head unit. Therefore it was decided to sundown this functionality for vehicles on the backend platforms.

Regarding the other purposes of having internet in the car is to use the web radio indeed or the other MB apps.

I stay then at your disposal and wish you a nice end-afternoon.

Good luck Martin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts