Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The coating on my Comand screen has been worn and scratched either through inappropriate cleaning or finger damage but in any event looked awful.
I have now very carefully removed the coating using a microfibre cloth with a mild detergent and the screen looks loads better.

My concern now is that if we ever do get any sunshine in the UK then I expect I will have glare issues and am therfore looking for an aftermarket film to apply to the screen.

I have read on other forums that Nushield do a screen film for an e-class and I have sent them an e-mail to see if they do one for an R171.

I wondered if anyone else had issues with the screen coating and what solutions they had tried?

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Uh, cleaning it "removed" the coating? I would have just expected it to clean off the oil from hands, etc. Are you sure it isn't just cleaned?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I think it actually removed the coating as the scren looks matt whereas before most of it had a gloss sheen with a blueish tint that looked fairly consistant other than where it was worn and scratched.
It looks a lot better now but I am asuming that it will suffer from glare and reflections

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:I also doubt you removed the coating on the nav screen. Both my SLK 55 and my wife's SLK 350 have Comand Nav. I noticed after a while, there appears to be discoloration on the screens. I use a small cloth used for cleaning LCD screens. It removes the discoloration without using any liquids. Subsequently, I've install screens protectors purchased off eBay. They protect the screens and no problems with discloration or glare.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
I'll have to take a closer look at mine, but I suspect matte is how it is supposed to look. (but I could be completely wrong :) )

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
My COMAND screen is flat and purplish-blue in color.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've notices it is hard to even see the screen and make out the information on it when the top is down. Same with the temperature reading display

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.