Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I got in my car the other day (250cdi slk) and after a while, I realised the radio wasn't on and the comand screen was blank (not showing any time). I tried switching the car off and back on but still no joy.
I also noticed that no buttons light up when the headlights come on.
I did a bit of digging and tried disconnecting the battery for 30 mins...still no radio but now all the writing on the dash is in German!
I've checked all the fuses in the engine bay and in the boot and none are blown...I've also checked the one in the back of the radio itself and that is not blown either...
Any one got any ideas????

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,911 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've looked all over the dash and there is no interior fuse box that I can find...
Any other ideas???

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
5,824 Posts
I've looked all over the dash and there is no interior fuse box that I can find...
Any other ideas???
Look at @jbanks15 link in his post 4. The fuse you want is located in the engine compartment drivers side at the rear ( Fuse 26 which is 20Amp rating). @i860 is referring to the R171 of the SLK which is not the same location as the R172.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No one been messing...just didn't come on one day...when I checked the fuse in the back of the radio, I had to disconnect the plug...which locks in place...and I relocked it...
It's a mystery....any one near cannock with "star"?...or can reccomend someone....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh no!...has anyone got a wiring diagram for the radio...might try to get some power to it to establish if its goosed or not...

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
5,824 Posts
Have you jump started your car or connected a charger with the polarity round the wrong way? On my wife's Honda CRV somebody did this and afterwards the Head Unit was completely dead. None of the car external fuses had blown. However, after a trip to the Honda Dealer to diagnose, an internal fuse within the Head Unit itself had blown. Problem solved.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally...fixed!...today I decided to try and find out why the radio wont come on.
I went out this morning and in 32 degree heat started stripping the car.
I got the radio out...could only find 1 live wire (permanent)...no ignition live and no live when the lights were on...the internal fan was running though...tried following the wires and they run under the centre console to the back...I got in the boot and checked all the fuses (again!)...none gone...took the end panel off the dash and got my hand in and 'wobbled' whatever wires I could touch...still nothing...next was the fuse box under the bonnet..I started to take this out and noticed that where its screwed in, there are sort of anti tamper plastic shrouds and 1 was broken...someone has been here before I thought...I tried to lift the fuse box out but it would only come so far...I looked underneath it and just saw a mass of wires..because I was getting frustrated and was hot I'd had enough so I 'wobbled' it around a bit and put it back...thought I'd see if anything had happened...low and behold...radio on!!!😃
At least if it goes off again I know where to look....
Time for beer!!🍻

1 - 15 of 15 Posts