Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to repaint my interior pieces on my 2001 SLK 230 using color bond interior paint in the spray can. I called the dealer and they said my code/name for the yellowish/creme color is 215 sienna beige. I called color bond and they do not have this color but they have several colors that might match? Has anyone used color bond paint before and maybe can give me the code # and name of shade they used? Thanks a 20190521_191818.jpg

20190521_191900.jpg TTACH]

20190521_191910.jpg lot in advance for any and all help! I have enclosed pictures of my interior.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,110 Posts
This is a tricky one.

Even with the correct code, it may not look right.
Nearly 20 years of colour aging.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,598 Posts
Even the Volico siam beige is not an exact match. As Avel Du said, it doesn't look right and you'll end up doing all of the plastic parts + door inserts and handles. To do that you're looking at minimum 3-4 cans (they are tiny). You will also need the primer and clear coat/lacquer.

It adds up and therefore might be more cost effective for you to strip the parts out and take them to a spray shop.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
I used VLC to touch mine up, including totally re painting the Centre console (the forward section I bought off EBay to modify and install the Android was actually Blue before I repainted it).

Results were excellent, especially as a semi temporary solution, when my V8 Install and after that Exterior Paintwork is all finished, I will be getting it all professionally re covered in Anthracite Leather with Blue Stitching :)

Looks very tidy now ....................

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
I'm guessin' your trying to get to 15 posts quickly >:D

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
879 Posts
Here is a pic.

The earlier discussion about painting over the air bags in the doors still stands. It is illegal in some jurisdictions and will potentially impact the function if, as Dave pointed out, the igniters fire.
That said it does look fresh but your seat inserts need doing.

·
Registered 1997 SLK230 Kompressor
233 Posts
Having said that @Alex 3, it is perhaps worth pointing out that attempting to clean the panels with even just water can result in the paint "dissolving". Wierd stuff this Mercedes paint. I stripped a load of the interior panels just using water. The RH top door panel cleaned up really well without loosing paint and I was going to live with the slight color mismatch. The LH door panel lost paint and black started grinning through. In the end I ended up painting the whole interior, seats included.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Hi,
@Rofa 's post above is the exact reason why my Project R170 is having it's all mods and restoration done in 3 stages ending with a Re Trim ..................

This was a crappy idea from MB to Paint Finish interior plastic panels :(

So my car ...........

1) Get all the Mods done first, including the Android / Sound Install, Stainless Roll Bars, Cluster and Interior Illuminations, V8 Engine / Trans / Diff / Brakes and Suspension Mods etc !! (Currently about 2/3rds through that) target for finishing Spring 2020 :)

2) Winter 2020 ........... Full underside resto including Subframes and Suspension out, rust remidials, full Cavity Waxoyl and Underseal all panels. Full bare metal respray using welded in rear Wheel arches, and new or rust free bolt on panels

3) Winter 2021 ........... And the bit relevant to this thread lol ..........Once all the Dusty Greasy and potentially Trim Damaging remove and refits are done then and only then will come a full Leather Trimmed Interior so there are no more painted surfaces to contend with.

Cheers Dave

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
879 Posts
Having said that @Alex 3, it is perhaps worth pointing out that attempting to clean the panels with even just water can result in the paint "dissolving". Wierd stuff this Mercedes paint. I stripped a load of the interior panels just using water. The RH top door panel cleaned up really well without loosing paint and I was going to live with the slight color mismatch. The LH door panel lost paint and black started grinning through. In the end I ended up painting the whole interior, seats included.

True enough. That was the era where they began to use waterbase finishes which could be re-emulsified if vigourously scrubbed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts