Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a universal color code for foam (or other) polishing pads, ie, black will always be a finishing pad regardless of vendor?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
No. Each manufacturer has a colour system. 3M matches the colours of their polishes to the colour of their pads but that's about as organised as it gets. You can usually feel the density/hardness of a pad in your hand though. If it's soft to the squeeze it's a finishing pad. A hard pad is usually a cutting pad.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Each manufacturer has a colour system. 3M matches the colours of their polishes to the colour of their pads but that's about as organised as it gets. You can usually feel the density/hardness of a pad in your hand though. If it's soft to the squeeze it's a finishing pad. A hard pad is usually a cutting pad.
That's what I kinda figured. Makes sense then to get pads from a single supplier for sanity's sake. I have felt the difference but was curious about the 3-4 finishing pads and the coloring.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The size of the backplate also makes a big difference. You really need the correct size backplate for the pad. Chemical guys pads are bigger than usual so if you're a Hexlogic fan then you really should also buy their backplate. I've settled on the Meguiars system after faffing about with loads of other setups. It's very good, simple, cheap and it actually works best with a DA rather than a rotary.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a 5" backing plate on a Porter Cable 7424. I had gotten an assortment of 5 1/4" foam pads from Chemical Guys/Lake Country which works very well. Speaking of Chemical Guys, I tried their Black on Black spray for the black waffled grill work. Even if I need to apply it regularly, it is quick and painless for a nice finished look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts