Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have planned a summer trip around the country to visit potential graduate schools! My trip will include University of Texas Austin, Stanford University, Purdue University, and Georgia Institute of Technology.

I will also be staying in Snowmass Colorado for a while with my aunt. Here is the tentative route.

I plan on leaving tonight, stopping in Valdosta, then being in Austin tomorrow night.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,915 Posts
Have fun, be safe Chris!

·
94,915 Posts
You better. MK has a booth set up for you called 'ask the mechanic'! :D

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Take lots of photos of your SLK with any landmarks you may pass by. Should make an interesting scrapbook. Good luck with visiting the schools. You make us proud. Say hello to Aunt Paula for me. Travel safe. Love you.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take lots of photos of your SLK with any landmarks you may pass by. Should make an interesting scrapbook. Good luck with visiting the schools. You make us proud. Say hello to Aunt Paula for me. Travel safe. Love you.
That would make a great scrapbook.

Thank you! You (both you and mom) have made it possible so thank you for that. Love you guys.

·
94,915 Posts
Stop by the Mods4cars (SmartTop) office in Vegas and pick it up. Say Hi to Stefan

·
94,915 Posts
They have a userid but do not post. I usually email Stphen if something comes up

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,238 Posts
Hey Chris, my dad used to always tell me "keep your antenna's up"! Always keep an eye out and you'll do just fine. What a long trip, I hope you are here for the picnic! Have fun and be safe.

What about Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh?

Welcome to The College of Engineering

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Chris, my dad used to always tell me "keep your antenna's up"! Always keep an eye out and you'll do just fine. What a long trip, I hope you are here for the picnic! Have fun and be safe.

What about Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh?

Welcome to The College of Engineering
I've heard people say to stay alert and you will be fine too. I have traveled Europe a couple of times on my own, so I am not too worried.

Carnegie Mellon is a good school too... trying to make my trip longer? :p

I will be back from my trip before the fall semester starts.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I was driving through Amarillo, Texas and was about 5 miles from the exit I needed and I see a bunch of cars stopped. Looked over and it was Cadillac Ranch. Turned around and stopped for a photo.

I traveled about 13 hours today from Hurst, Texas to Snowmass, Colorado. I took 82 and got a few pictures at Independence Pass. It was much colder up there.

Also, somewhere in Colorado I saw a line of Mercedes. They were all the same model but one was painted in the funky black and white pattern they use for testing I think. There was also a Sprinter following behind.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
In excess of 12,000 feet elevation. Did you notice much of a performance difference in the thin air? Still some snow in the mountains..... What was the temperature in that area? Any top down driving yesterday?

It would be interesting to know what that line up of Mercedes were up to.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In excess of 12,000 feet elevation. Did you notice much of a performance difference in the thin air? Still some snow in the mountains..... What was the temperature in that area? Any top down driving yesterday?

It would be interesting to know what that line up of Mercedes were up to.
No I did not notice a performance difference. I think the supercharger helps with that. Additionally it is a very windy narrow slow climb so I was pretty much in third gear and then third gear on the way down as well rarely having to us any pedals. I am performing differently, feel short of breath lol

Temperature was in the 50s tolerable in shorts and short sleeves but only for the small amount of time I was out of the car. Suprised to see snow.

Wanted to take top down but it was raining on and off.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Was the climb & descend all 2 lane roads? Was Independence Pass the highest altitude you attained?
Mostly. Sometimes it narrowed to one lane so you had to yield to oncoming traffic. The road is closed during the winter because of that.

I would assume it was the highest altitude.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts