Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Is there any reason why the supercharger needs to vent any unwanted boost back in the air intake?

This appears to me to result in hot supercharger air being feed back into the supercharger, only to make it a bit hotter, and then the process just keeps repeating itself. I find this is most noticeable in peak hour traffic, where you are constantly starting and stopping in short bursts. It's also present in other situations as well!

The power loss due to the high air intake temperatures is very noticeable :(

What happens if we vent the hot supercharger air out the bottom of the car using a separate air filter and seal up the hole in the air intake box? Has anyone tried doing this? Did the air intake temperatures remain low?

Cheers
Luc

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
61 Posts
This is what I've done to my 2000 SLK. I never thought about the hot air making things hotter, i only did it to get the whine from the SC and to try and get cooler air in the intake.

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is what I've done to my 2000 SLK. I never thought about the hot air making things hotter, i only did it to get the whine from the SC and to try and get cooler air in the intake.

What did you do with the s/c actuator flap? Can you upload more pictures?

·
Registered
20 Posts
How about eliminating the recirc bypass flap all together and have the supercharger bypass outlet go to a waste gate that opens/dumps when the boost psi exceeds a determined (adjustable) amount. I think the boost is around 6-8 psi with a stock crank pully and around 12-14 psi with an oversized pully. You could also convert from the stock air to air intercooler to an air to water for better cooling of the supercharger air. I haven't researched any of this....just some things I've thought of doing.

Barchetta

·
Registered
304 Posts
:frown:
Hi,

Is there any reason why the supercharger needs to vent any unwanted boost back in the air intake?

This appears to me to result in hot supercharger air being feed back into the supercharger, only to make it a bit hotter, and then the process just keeps repeating itself. I find this is most noticeable in peak hour traffic, where you are constantly starting and stopping in short bursts. It's also present in other situations as well!

The power loss due to the high air intake temperatures is very noticeable :(

What happens if we vent the hot supercharger air out the bottom of the car using a separate air filter and seal up the hole in the air intake box? Has anyone
tried doing this? Did the air intake temperatures remain low?

Cheers
Luc
I believe the bypass valve keeps pressures on both sides of the SC equal and only operates when there is no boostyo, such as in a decelleration. Situation. It eliminates cavitation and you'll have to look up that word in regards to supercharger operation. I am just looking for a SLK but my Mustang Cobra had a bypass valve. I believe if it is disabled hotter air will enter the motor. Just want all to,have happy motors. mark

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hey, Ive been interested in putting a CAI on my 98 slk 230, and haven't been seeing any recent posts about it. I had a few questions...1 How did you secure the filters/inlets in place after removing the box? 2 is there a third mini cone filter as i've seen in other pics? (I have no idea what that one is for) And 3 what did you use to attach the filter to the sc?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,361 Posts
hogdog, please post an intro

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

We want to welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.