Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, question for everyone in the US. I guess you could call this a poll. How many people would be interested in a Bilstein coilover set for both the 170 series and 171 series SLK? Bilstein PSS9 series set-up. They aren't cheap, roughly $2800 US. I ask because I have been debating opening an online retail shop importing tuning parts to the US that are available in Germany, but not in the US.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Well you should study the market, I can tell you from an emotional point of view that I like to modify cars in general however the majority of the mercedes owners drive these cars stock and see it as a gentlemans non modified type of marquee. If those were porsche or bmw's you can sell more but since its a Mercedes your looking at a very very small niche of enthusiasts who really want to track and improve their cars.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Don't bother, there isn't much interest when it comes to modding Mercedes, the percentage is very tiny, even smaller for performance mods like coilovers. The MB crowd is a totally different than the BMW and Porsche crowd. Not saying it's bad in any way, it's just a different lifestyle. BMW and Porsche shops are everywhere, very saturated (sp?), with the economy the way it is, there seems to be a lot of uncertainty. Many people are saving, not spending, so an online performance shop today would be a bad idea. The Japanese tuning market seems to be pretty stable though.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
PM sent, check your messages.

Thanks!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok, question for everyone in the US. I guess you could call this a poll. How many people would be interested in a Bilstein coilover set for both the 170 series and 171 series SLK? Bilstein PSS9 series set-up. They aren't cheap, roughly $2800 US. I ask because I have been debating opening an online retail shop importing tuning parts to the US that are available in Germany, but not in the US.
B4TM4N (member of this site) has the PSS9 installed for his R171, completely for tracking purpose. :) It sits very low and I believe there are pictures of his car on this forum. You can ask for his opinion, but he is from Toronto, Canada.

·
Registered
605 Posts
there are some of us interested in mods, but isn't this a little weird as this is a business interest basically inquiring? A no no?

·
Registered
199 Posts
B4TM4N (member of this site) has the PSS9 installed for his R171, completely for tracking purpose. :) It sits very low and I believe there are pictures of his car on this forum. You can ask for his opinion, but he is from Toronto, Canada.
Snowby is right. It's sits pretty low and as others have mentioned this is not by a long shot any mod a typical MB owner would do. As for SLK I don't think I know of any other SLK in Canada with PSS9 and I've only seen/heard of one other SLK who's running on CO's (KW V3 to be exact). Obviously that doesn't account for the entire country, BUT in the online world it is a very very small percentage compared to any other Benz. And if you're going to compare to any other car brand, MB's would probably be the least modded of the luxury segment. Just does not fit the consumer demographics. And unfortunately for this reason, we'll never be able to find cheaper parts. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.