Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody on here with a 2006 slk 55 amg that ever had any coil-overs, i wanna lower my car an inch or so

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know a couple of brands, would just love some input on others to see if its a good product and if the install was a pain or not, thank you though!

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
176 Posts
Cant go wrong with KW's.If you want to spend mega money AST
if you want something a bit cheaper look at BC or ST

·
Registered
905 Posts
On the search for coil overs for my car I have come across several brands...

https://www.tdotperformance.ca/2006-mercedesbenz-slk55amg-parts/performance-parts/suspension-systems?part_type_filter_multi%5B0%5D=8654

H&R are supposedly up there with the best...friend of mine has H&R on his MB GTR green monster..

H&R Street Performance Coil Over - Essex Distributors - H&R Car Shocks & Suspension - Sport Springs, Street Performance Coil Overs

Or it depends on how mad you want to go....not sure if these guys have any on the shelf but I wrote to them recently; unfortunately they don't have any off the shelf kits for my R172.....but they kindly offered to build me an entire kit for $11,000CDN :surprise:

BC Coil overs have a so-so reputation but like everything in life you get what you pay for....if you just want to lower the car and not worry about adjustments you could go with lowering springs.....or find someone that has coil over sleeves ..that way you keep your OEM dampers, but can still adjust the ride height.

·
Registered 05 SLK55 & 06 Kleemann 55K S8
878 Posts
Careful with the H&R coilovers on the SLK, they are crazy low. Ride seems to be fairly harsh too, probably due to the low ride height. I agree on BC's, they are ok, but you get what you pay for. There are a lot of brands from that same family that build out of the same sets of parts. Ceika has a decent reputation too, but when I inquired they gave me some crazy spring rates. I bit the bullet and went with the KW V3's. The other good option is Bilstein B14/16, but they are out of stock everywhere right now as they shut down a plant and are building a new one.

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
I have the KW v3 on my 55. The ride height is not low-by-default like it is on some brands, so if you only want to drop an inch that is certainly possible. The ride quality is not overly harsh. Definitely smoother than on my previous SLKs which only had lowering springs and Bilsteins.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the KW v3 on my 55. The ride height is not low-by-default like it is on some brands, so if you only want to drop an inch that is certainly possible. The ride quality is not overly harsh. Definitely smoother than on my previous SLKs which only had lowering springs and Bilsteins.
Im not trying to slam it or anything, just anything lower than the stock ride height lmao

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Careful with the H&R coilovers on the SLK, they are crazy low. Ride seems to be fairly harsh too, probably due to the low ride height. I agree on BC's, they are ok, but you get what you pay for. There are a lot of brands from that same family that build out of the same sets of parts. Ceika has a decent reputation too, but when I inquired they gave me some crazy spring rates. I bit the bullet and went with the KW V3's. The other good option is Bilstein B14/16, but they are out of stock everywhere right now as they shut down a plant and are building a new one.
How you liking the KW V3?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts