Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 questions that hopefully somebody can answer. We'll start with the easy first:

1. What lb coil springs are on the front of an SLK230?

2. It appears the 230's have a return fuel line (say vs. an E320). is this a true statement? Does anyone know where the return line 'returns'? (tank or back into fuel pump)?

The reason I ask is because after doing my V8 conversion and blocking off the return line, I hear some gurgling in the tank when I turn the engine off, which to me sounds like pressure bleeding back through the pump?? in other words: I'm dead-heading the pump. not good. however, after some research, the E430 and E320 etc have the same fuel pump and filter, yet they dead-head them.

Thanks.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,224 Posts
I have 2 questions that hopefully somebody can answer. We'll start with the easy first:

1. What lb coil springs are on the front of an SLK230?

2. It appears the 230's have a return fuel line (say vs. an E320). is this a true statement? Does anyone know where the return line 'returns'? (tank or back into fuel pump)?

The reason I ask is because after doing my V8 conversion and blocking off the return line, I hear some gurgling in the tank when I turn the engine off, which to me sounds like pressure bleeding back through the pump?? in other words: I'm dead-heading the pump. not good. however, after some research, the E430 and E320 etc have the same fuel pump and filter, yet they dead-head them.

Thanks.
Assuming you have a R170.447 I have linked the parts list and picture of the fuel lines. Yes, there is a return line.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1WpXQ0AD_F2bzA4LVJEY0lLSWc/view?usp=sharing

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not much help from the WIS

"The color marks in the middle of the spring are the manufacturers inspection marks. They are of no significance related to the spring length.
The various spring lengths and the various axle loads, resulting from the individual vehicle models. are compensated for by the installation of spring rubber mounts of different height.
The part number and Daimler trademark are stamped on the last lower coil of each spring.
Assignment of the spring rubber mount to the vehicle model can be determined with the aid of the EPC."

Hand off to someone with access to the EPC

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,224 Posts
Not much help from the WIS

"The color marks in the middle of the spring are the manufacturers inspection marks. They are of no significance related to the spring length.
The various spring lengths and the various axle loads, resulting from the individual vehicle models. are compensated for by the installation of spring rubber mounts of different height.
The part number and Daimler trademark are stamped on the last lower coil of each spring.
Assignment of the spring rubber mount to the vehicle model can be determined with the aid of the EPC."

Hand off to someone with access to the EPC
I have EPC and can look up (will need the VIN) the stock springs and pads but that does not seem to answer the question of how many pounds to move the spring an inch. It may be the only way to know is to have them tested. I am not aware of MB providing this info.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting thoughts.

so the spring strength does not change between an SLK230 and SLK320 is what that tells me, they just add a taller pad to compensate for the less ground clearance... sounds very "un german" to me. I should have EPC with my Star system, but that still doesn't get me the pounds/inch.

I recently learned that the R170 SLK is based on the W202 chassis, which also shares very similar suspension design to the W210 (if not the EXACT parts). Therefore I wondered if I installed coils from a E320, then it would be enough to offset the weight of my V8...??

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,224 Posts
Very interesting thoughts.

so the spring strength does not change between an SLK230 and SLK320 is what that tells me, they just add a taller pad to compensate for the less ground clearance... sounds very "un german" to me. I should have EPC with my Star system, but that still doesn't get me the pounds/inch.

I recently learned that the R170 SLK is based on the W202 chassis, which also shares very similar suspension design to the W210 (if not the EXACT parts). Therefore I wondered if I installed coils from a E320, then it would be enough to offset the weight of my V8...??
I understand the spring color markings differently than Silverstar. In the link is the EPC page for springs for the 170.447. There are two springs (one is a 210 chassis spring) with a total of five lower pads. The pads are used to help offset the compression of the spring due to the weight of the options on the car. There are upper pads too with different thicknesses. Let me know if there is anything else that would help you from EPC.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1WpXQ0AD_F2b0Zjem1ZQVJDRE0/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
41 Posts
I might be wrong but it looks as though the upper pad comes in 5 different thickness's. My car has no lower pad at all and I don't see one
in the parts catalog.

I am in need of a pair of front springs, does anyone have any input on Bilstein springs, Peloquin has a listing for them for a good price.

While on the subject, any advice on a lowered spring set? I really love the ride and handling now but the car would look better a inch lower.
I just don't want a super stiff ride..

STeve

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think if you lower it by an inch you may end up riding on the standard shock absorbers bump stops too much. This was how my 32 was when I first bought it. You would have to replace them with Bilstein B4 or similar which have the travel to allow for it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
How was it after the shock replacement? I'm leaning towards a stock replacement spring right now.

Steve
I replaced all 4 corners, springs and shocks. Bilstein shocks and Kilen springs to achieve the desired ride height and comfort. The original springs on mine were cut down so had no choice but can recommend this conversion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts