Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

i have some question about the suspension. i changed the H&S spring ( forgot the product code) to lower my R171 1 year ago. time goes by, i feel my ride get very uncomfortable when passing the roads where not flat, especially passing through speed hump, there are some noice from the car. most likely feeling fall apart.

My friend's ride is M benz E cabriolet C/A 207, he modified the supsension to bilstein coil cover. it is very comfortable. when he sit in my car, he feel very uncomfrotable and metioned my suspension get very old and time to change a new one.
but i think the car is different, the design is different so i think the performance of suspension may be different. so i'm still thinking about which brand which model of coil over i should install when keep my H&S spring. I just want to get more comfortable.

any buddy can sggest me about that?

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
I think most people on this forum that have coil-overs, use K&Ws. Note that the drop with coil-overs is generally more extreme than with springs, even at the highest setting.

I've not heard of H&S springs. Do you mean H&R? Because those are known to be more stiff than other brands. If you are not ready to go the coil-over route, you might consider switching the springs to a different brand such as Eibach or Brabus.

Also, did you install any new shocks/struts when you lowered the car? If you are still on the original shocks, having had the car lowered for a while now, those will be completely destroyed by now as they are not made for the shorter throw that the lowering springs force them in. Consider replacing those with some Bilstein B8s.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your comment.
yes. you are right. that is H&R not H&S. i made mistaken. actually, there are so many restriction on tunning cars in my country. most of the modification is illedgal. also, i have no idea on tunning cars. at the begining i just want this look better. so i just changed a spring. at the same time, i bought another car, so i seldom drive SLK for a period. when i drive SLK again recently, i feel this car got some problem on the suspension. very uncomfortable.

i'm a beginer on tunning cars, no idea.
if i want to keep the H&R spring, do u have any idea on changing other parts to improve this problem?

thank you very much.

I think most people on this forum that have coil-overs, use K&Ws. Note that the drop with coil-overs is generally more extreme than with springs, even at the highest setting.

I've not heard of H&S springs. Do you mean H&R? Because those are known to be more stiff than other brands. If you are not ready to go the coil-over route, you might consider switching the springs to a different brand such as Eibach or Brabus.

Also, did you install any new shocks/struts when you lowered the car? If you are still on the original shocks, having had the car lowered for a while now, those will be completely destroyed by now as they are not made for the shorter throw that the lowering springs force them in. Consider replacing those with some Bilstein B8s.

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts
Stock shocks has a optimum working level whereas quality sport\coilover shocks can work any height.

When you only change your springs, stock shocks start to work compressed more than it should and then when you get over a bump it tries to restore it's optimum height. Since the springs are short, the gap causes most of the noise. That's the main reason why your ride is uncomfortable as well. This also shortens your stock shocks' life considerably. Also this is why coilovers feel more comfortable than just changing springs. Coilover shocks are designed to compansate that lower ride and short spring.

But if you can match a good sports(maybe short as well) shocks with your H&R springs, you can have more comfortable ride than a coilover, since coilover shocks are quite hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts