Mercedes SLK World banner

61 - 80 of 129 Posts

Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
BTW, do not compare MB's to other Cars, most manufacturers set their Temperature Gauges to under read, to avoid owners seeing exactly how hot they really run, any vehicle with CATs has to run hotter than old skool Engines, if owners of these other vehicles actually looked at the Live Data on other cars it would scare the life out of them ;)
MB Gauges are fairly accurate.

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Hi,

So when you say "Overheated" did it actually lose any coolant ?

If it didn't then it didn't overheat ;) As the others said, idling in traffic at 100 on a warm day is not really an issue, but it should drop down when Fan cuts in, then Fan should switch off, then it will rise again, rinse and repeat.

When it is at 100c does the Fan cut in on slow speed ? ...............
Note that you can barely hear it as it runs very slowly to start with, and only steps up if needs be, which here in UK is not often, I'd advise going for a drive to get it fully warmed up, then returning home, leave it idling and when it gets to 100c open the Bonnet and OBSERVE whether the Fan cuts in slowly, then off then repeat etc......................

Or as I'm always saying, easier way is to get it on SDS and do the test routine ;)

HTH ;)
When I say 80 - I'm referring to Fahrenheit, not celsius. I think 80f is about 175c. I could be wrong on that.

When I say 'overheated' - yes, lost coolant, yes, steam coming from engine. I had stopped in a parking lot briefly and it started steaming. Luckily, I was fairly close to home, so I turned up the inside heater and made it home, but as I was driving, the temp gauge was dropping. When I reached home and opened the hood, I could see the antifreeze boiling and bubbling in the tank.

The fan does not appear to be coming on at all, ever.

I live in a moderate to very warm climate in the US.

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #63
When I say 80 - I'm referring to Fahrenheit, not celsius. I think 80f is about 175c. I could be wrong on that.

When I say 'overheated' - yes, lost coolant, yes, steam/smoke coming from engine. I had stopped in a parking lot and it started. Luckily, I was fairly close to home, so I turned up the heater and made it home, but as I was driving, the temp gauge was dropping, and I could see the antifreeze boiling and bubbling in the tank.

Let me say in regard to my gauge - I'm ASSuming that since I'm in the U.S., that the gauge is set to give temps in Fahrenheit.

Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
I guess this is where "activations" via SDS or a high-end Launch come in to play. 馃槙

Poking about on-site, the Coolant Temperature Sensor could be worth looking into ..

I guess this is where "activations" via SDS
Yes exactly, SDS !! ......................

1) Fault Codes from SDS

2) Actual Values, (Live Data), from SDS

3) Actuations, via SDS

4) Guided testing, via SDS (if it's available on early R170 models)

5) SDD via SDS (if it's available on early R170 models)

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks everybody. I have a brand new fan in the box that will go in tomorrow (just based off of the mechanic/shop's theory that the fan is bad). I've also ordered a new fan controller, it'll be here in the next few days. And I've ordered a temp sensor as well. I'll check back with you and let you know the outcomes.

The advice about SDS is not falling on deaf ears. I don't have access to it, and all dealerships are an hour and half away from where I live. The mechanic that I paid 200+ to didn't use SDS to diagnose my problem.

The temp sensor is worth a shot as "parts darts" go, $20 or thereabouts isn't too bad and I have no idea if thats the issue or not but it's just something that I stumbled across .. good luck with your new parts (y)

I have a brand new fan in the box that will go in tomorrow (just based off of the mechanic/shop's theory that the fan is bad). I've also ordered a new fan controller, it'll be here in the next few days. And I've ordered a temp sensor as well.
Have you check the thermostat?

:ROFLMAO: ............... (and in jest) ...............

:D

Have you check the thermostat?
If all else fails, I'd be really tempted to drop one of those 71c stats in or drill a few holes in the the existing one ..

Hi Ho Silver ..

Consider this, if it was the Thermostat not opening properly, yes the Engine would get hot which is what is happening, but the Fan would then run, although it wouldn't cool properly due to incorrect coolant circulation .........................

My money is on, (in this order) ....................

Fan Controller

Circuit between ECU and Fan Controller (PWM Signal wire) ............

Main Power / Earth to Controller Circuit, has anyone actually put a Headlamp Bulb across these 2 connections, to load that circuit, that Bulb should light up real bright !!

ECU Fault

Even if it were something serious like cracked Head / Head Gasket, blocked Radiator, Water Pump, etc etc yes the Engine will overheat and yes it will chuck Coolant out, but the fan will run during this ;)

HTH :)

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #79
Consider this, if it was the Thermostat not opening properly, yes the Engine would get hot which is what is happening, but the Fan would then run, although it wouldn't cool properly due to incorrect coolant circulation .........................

My money is on, (in this order) ....................

Fan Controller

Circuit between ECU and Fan Controller (PWM Signal wire) ............

Main Power / Earth to Controller Circuit, has anyone actually put a Headlamp Bulb across these 2 connections, to load that circuit, that Bulb should light up real bright !!

ECU Fault

Even if it were something serious like cracked Head / Head Gasket, blocked Radiator, Water Pump, etc etc yes the Engine will overheat and yes it will chuck Coolant out, but the fan will run during this ;)

HTH :)
lol, I followed along up until the fan controller part, then I was lost until your last sentence..... lol. I don't know what those things are.

I'm pretty sure that the PWM wire is the wire that runs between that 'secret fuse' and the controller itself (the part that plugs into controller)???? Or am I wrong? Can the PWM wire be purchased as a whole?

I have absolutely NO idea about the "Earth to controller" circuit, and don't know what an ECU is.

I feel like we need to start a TV show along the lines of "House", where we sit around and give differential diagnosis' only for cars instead of humans.

61 - 80 of 129 Posts