Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section feel free to move if needed.

I have been looking around for a code reader. I keep seeing them on eBay for under £20 but always remember what my father said about you get what you pay for.

My question is I want to see if my car is throwing out codes (I'm guessing there could be one or two) but would a budget reader be suitable for this requirement. Has anyone had any experience using a reader bought from ebay good and bad feedback?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,326 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a chance on getting a scanner for the car found a package on Amazon.
BV & Jo D900 Any Car Diagnostic Engine Fault Code Scanner Reader Tool OBD OBD2 OBDII CAN-BUS - 2014. Get the 38 pin adaptor if your socket is under the bonnet.
I'm sure if you search on that you will find what I bought. Came in at £32 with postage. I was a bit apprehensive to whether it would work, my initial attempt to connect to the car lead to failure. This was just because I hadn't seated the plug properly.
Once it connected it was simple to use as unfortunately it came with no instructions.
It gave me codes and will also get live data from the car. I'm sure there is cheaper on the market but if you have a 1998 230 slk this will do the job nicely.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having a few minor problems with my R170 , so took the plunge & bought a maxiscan off ebay , together with the adapter required for R170 's.
Bought up 3 codes which certainly could be the cause of my problems.

Cost much less than £20.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did look at the maxiscan on eBay. But I think the over riding factor for me was I had an Amazon gift voucher. Even tried it on my Q5 was gutted when that threw a code but as it's still under warranty Audi can deal with that one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.