Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove the car for about 30 minutes today...parked it in the driveway while I did some cleaning.....went to move it back into the garage after 20 minutes or so and all it would do is crank.

Put my Scangauge II on it and there's the code. CPS is at fault. Waited another 30 minutes and it started right up. Perfect timing...it's going in for it's annual maintenance in about two weeks. Good thing I bought the warranty (Mercury) last year (zero deductible).

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,277 Posts
crank position sensor

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took the beast in today to my Indy mechanic....Service B with brake fluid exchange and the CPS fault. All done on time and reasonable price. Mercury picked up the bill for the CPS parts and labor....zero deductible.:rockon:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Took the beast in today to my Indy mechanic....Service B with brake fluid exchange and the CPS fault. All done on time and reasonable price. Mercury picked up the bill for the CPS parts and labor....zero deductible.:rockon:
yippie, two unsolicited plugs for mercury!!! anyway.. mine is going in for the wonderful cps issue as well.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yippie, two unsolicited plugs for mercury!!! anyway.. mine is going in for the wonderful cps issue as well.
When any product meets or exceeds what it claims then they get my :rb.....if they don't then they get my :tazz: and if they don't improve, then they get my :butt:

Simple.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Is it a good idea to replace the CPS anyway even if the problem has not occurred yet or should one wait until it happens first?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it a good idea to replace the CPS anyway even if the problem has not occurred yet or should one wait until it happens first?
They fail due to heat as they age...if it happens, just wait about 20-30 minutes and it will turn right over. However, I would see it as a warning to get it replaced rather than just playing the wait game and hope it doesn't go tango uniform (TU).

·
Registered
127 Posts
fwiw, the very first symptom i had with mine was that it would turn over and not start. the waiting game yielded a start with ~2 miles driving distance before mine decided that it was finished.

in my exp., mb wont replace under warranty unless the part is faulty. not sure how much the part was since i had the work done under warranty

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fwiw, the very first symptom i had with mine was that it would turn over and not start. the waiting game yielded a start with ~2 miles driving distance before mine decided that it was finished.

in my exp., mb wont replace under warranty unless the part is faulty. not sure how much the part was since i had the work done under warranty
If it trips a CEL it's covered by warranty....one doesn't need to be stranded on the road for an intermittent CPS. I just snapped a photo of my Scan Gauge II screen and had it ready to show if for some reason the code is cleared by the computer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If it trips a CEL it's covered by warranty....one doesn't need to be stranded on the road for an intermittent CPS. I just snapped a photo of my Scan Gauge II screen and had it ready to show if for some reason the code is cleared by the computer.
the issue was the speed of events. the first indication of an issue was crank/no start. when it did start, the cel came on and i tried to get it home (only 2.5 miles away). the car gave up after 2 miles making it necessary for a tow and the ruining of friday night/ sat morn (to get a rental car).

it was towed to mb and diagnosed as the cps. it was replaced and i got the car back yesterday. i was thankful that there are posts on this topic. it helped me go from wtf is happening to oooh, i probably need a sensor replaced under warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.