Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend with an '01 SLK230. She complained about rough running and poor acceleration. Pulled the codes the other day and they came up as 301, 335 and 336. I assume there is supposed to be a "P0" in front of each of those. P0301 is misfire cylinder 1. P0335 and P0336 are both crankshaft position sensor codes. The codes were reset and haven't come back on, but it's also only been a day. What would you think would be the approach to fix this? Plugs have not been changed, so it's due for them I think regardless. Could the MAF cause the P0301 code and it that the likely culprit?

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Clean the MAF first, if the codes come back its the CPS. I had the same issue this summer, also when ever i got into the throttle heavy i would get a misfire code and end up in limp mode. The new CPS fixed that issue.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,990 Posts
CPS (sometimes called CKP) is the crankshaft position sensor, and it's really easy and inexpensive to replace. It usually sits on top of the transmission bell housing. It's a common point of failure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just did the P0301 on my daughter's Volvo C70 convertible. I'm pretty sure it's the same error (misfire on cylinder one). Hers turned out to be that the coil (coil-on-plug) on cylinder one had failed.

To diagnose I swapped coils and plugs around then would pull the connector to the coil (or the plug wire in the case of a car with distributor) while the engine was running. If the engine idle doesn't change then you've found the bad cylinder/coil/plug.

P0301 can also be caused by a vacuum leak, bad/dirty MAF (as mentioned), sticking valve(s), bad rings, etc.

Is the car running poorly?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was but after a half hour 60 mph jaunt down the freeway with our SLK Group, she said it was running much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question? I have a po301 when the engine temp is cold. after it reaches 40C an I restart the engine it runs perfect.??
I replaced a couple hoses that were bad figured that would be too easy. I recently did a head gasket and new tensioner unit, hoses bla bla.....
I replaced the MAF sensor unit ordered online new and the top speed issue went away. still once it cools down I need to limp for about 5 minutes...

Any thoughts or could it be cam position sensor at the front of the engine?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,657 Posts
Question? I have a po301 when the engine temp is cold. after it reaches 40C an I restart the engine it runs perfect.??
I replaced a couple hoses that were bad figured that would be too easy. I recently did a head gasket and new tensioner unit, hoses bla bla.....
I replaced the MAF sensor unit ordered online new and the top speed issue went away. still once it cools down I need to limp for about 5 minutes...

Any thoughts or could it be cam position sensor at the front of the engine?
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (year?: 1996-2017, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.