Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best cockpit cleaner for the dashboard etc?
Plain old fashioned water just doesn't give the finish I want - I don't want shiny but just something that looks natural and better than the finish I get with water! :confused:

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,876 Posts
check the caring for your slk section where I am moving your thread :D

use 'search' I use meguiars gold leather conditioner

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
If you have the early 'crumbly' finish dash, just use plain water, as the pores in the material will trap any cleaning material. MB got rid of it fairly quickly on the R171s, so with a 2006 car, you might be lucky, and not have it.

·
Super Moderator - DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,015 Posts
Might sound like a daft Q, but how does the 'crumbly' finish vary from the later one ...

Mines a 2005 and has a 'textured' finish - I use Back to Black on a microfibre towel - leaves things clean but without a shiny finish - works for me ...!

Cheers
Sean

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Might sound like a daft Q, but how does the 'crumbly' finish vary from the later one ...

Mines a 2005 and has a 'textured' finish - I use Back to Black on a microfibre towel - leaves things clean but without a shiny finish - works for me ...!

Cheers
Sean
It's hard to describe it - it has an open, porous, granular texture - similar to a lump of polyurethane foam that has been broken open. Just rubbing a clean finger over it leaves a white mark.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,876 Posts
True that on my previous 05 350. then later on they changed it like Woolly stated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have the early 'crumbly' finish dash, just use plain water, as the pores in the material will trap any cleaning material. MB got rid of it fairly quickly on the R171s, so with a 2006 car, you might be lucky, and not have it.
The dash is bobbly or grained where the cup holder door is smooth, best way I can describe it really. :confused:

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
The Answer

You will find the cheapest pack of moist baby wipes are the best cleaner for your dash and interior generally. A little dearer than water but a hell of a lot cheaper than the overpriced sprays, creams and microfibre cloths. Try it I think you'll be impressed.

A pack will fit in your glovebox or centre console so you can give a quick clean of dust and the like whilst waiting for your partner that has just popped in to a shop - so efficient too!

Your SLK may well be your 'baby' so baby wipes are appropriate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts