Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another dumb question from an SLK55 AMG newbie ....

When I engage gear from stationary (7G gearbox) I can hear and feel a slight "clunk". Is this normal? Please somebody tell me it is, I couldn't cope with a gearbox fault so soon after getting the thing ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did not catch the year or mileage prior to my response:

The gear box tends to be a bit clunky when cold. It usually smooths out when operating temperatures are reached.

If you do not have the prior owner's service records, I would suggest having the transmission oil changed by a qualified service tech and use the proper fluid. It should be done every 39k-40k miles.

Check the drained fluid for abnormal findings.

I just had my fluid changed, it made the world of difference.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,216 Posts
i would use chunk instead of clunk. dmook speaks truth

·
Registered 2005 SLK 55 AMG
27 Posts
definitely have a good shop check it out. ours did that a couple of times (slow to engage, then big clunk). shop told us the valve body needed replacing. We complained to MB, as we'd been asking our local dealer about the rough shifting for 40K miles. wound up replacing the valve body, which our other local dealer did for 25% off as a goodwill action.

also note that the valve body is a 'Theft-related part', and can therefore only be sold to, or on the approval of the registered owner (i.e. your independant shop can't get one withouit your approval).

blackdog

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.