Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SLK owners,

As you may recall I purchased an '03 Firemist SLK230 for my girlfriend some months ago...

I had the tumbler and steering lock problem... Fixed $$$
Then I replaced a leaking Cam shaft mag adj.... Fixed $$$

I heard a clunk when ever I went in and out of the drive way...
Shop said lower ball joints were bad...Fixed$$$
They also said my motor mounts were leaking....Fixed$$$

I was hoping these two items would solve the problem, and well it didnt solve the loud and annoying clunk!

Please help....? I am sick I spending $1,000 on labor and parts with this car.

I am starting to lose faith in Mercedes, at the moment :td:
Really considering selling it:butt:

ANY and ALL help will be greatly appreciated :usa:

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,526 Posts
Where does the clunk sound like it's coming from?
Is it the front or back.

BTW,
A 11 year old car with an unknown maintenance history my have problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,

It is not the exhaust bracket that is bolted near the transmission, as in the case of most. I double checked that.

The noise is coming from the front passenger's side, up front by the wheel, thus the ball joint replacement.

Any suspension components that are know for wear I should address.

Thanks,
1994steeda

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hello SLK owners,

As you may recall I purchased an '03 Firemist SLK230 for my girlfriend some months ago...

I had the tumbler and steering lock problem... Fixed $$$
Then I replaced a leaking Cam shaft mag adj.... Fixed $$$

I heard a clunk when ever I went in and out of the drive way...
Shop said lower ball joints were bad...Fixed$$$
They also said my motor mounts were leaking....Fixed$$$

I was hoping these two items would solve the problem, and well it didnt solve the loud and annoying clunk!

Please help....? I am sick I spending $1,000 on labor and parts with this car.

I am starting to lose faith in Mercedes, at the moment :td:
Really considering selling it:butt:

ANY and ALL help will be greatly appreciated :usa:
I think all of us have these problems when we hit 100k miles on R170 =) I did all of that =) Couple weeks ago I replaced my lower ball joints and lower control arm bushings.
When does your clank appear?
For example when I reverse with the wheels turned I hear a clunk and was trying to figure out what it was... When I took it for alignment, my friend carefully looked at the car and told me that my aftermarket Akebono ceramic brake pads were making that noise. There's a gap making them slip when wheels are turned. However it's not a big deal and I can live with it until next brake pad change =) I will get OEM next time. Btw, Akebono are not cheap.
Do you have aftermarket brakes? Then it might be your problem...
Other suggestions would be upper ball joints, or the whole steering drag link. After 100k miles the steering drag link usually needs to be replaced. Mine had a play (back and forth if you rock it with your hand) It should NOT have any play! This resulted into a clunk from a passenger side when I was hitting small bumps :) Check if it has any play and if it does, replace the whole thing (I'd advise replacing upper ball joints too since it's about time). Also you steering damper might be also reaching it's life limit. Check your lower control arm bushings. And also check front sway bar bushings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I back out of the drive way I hear the clunk, when I am making a u-turn I hear it. Seems to be related to turning.

I purchased power stop drilled rotors for it and going to install them this weekend. I will check the pads.

In reality it doesn't bother me, it's more embarrassing than anything.

Thanks guys for all your input, I deeply appreciate the comments.:usa:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
When I back out of the drive way I hear the clunk, when I am making a u-turn I hear it. Seems to be related to turning.

I purchased power stop drilled rotors for it and going to install them this weekend. I will check the pads.

In reality it doesn't bother me, it's more embarrassing than anything.

Thanks guys for all your input, I deeply appreciate the comments.:usa:
Maybe previous owner installed aftermarket brakes. If it clunks only with the wheels turned and doesn't reappear again until you back up then pads might be the culprit. But also check sway bar bushings. Although my friend mechanic told me these usually go a long way. And check the steering drag link.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The clunk it very loud and solid, sounds like metal to metal.
The brakes do not play a role in whether you hear the noise or not.

I believe it is a suspension issue, but I cannot isolate the location of the noise as I can't recreate how the suspension moves when it's on jack stands.

Thanks again ya'll :)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,344 Posts
front springs been suggested?

·
97,344 Posts
probably broken springs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can some please post a link to where I may purchase the set of factory replacement springs?

I want to avoid the dealer and aftermarket lowering springs.

Thanks again

·
97,344 Posts

·
97,344 Posts
spring part numbers

Attachments

·
97,344 Posts
here is more info on red/white spring
don't ask me what it means :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Can some please post a link to where I may purchase the set of factory replacement springs?

I want to avoid the dealer and aftermarket lowering springs.

Thanks again
Throwing parts at a problem can get VERY expensive very quickly. You need to know that the springs are the problem before you go ahead and replace them. Surely there must be a a reputable shop in your area to actually find the problem if you can't find it yourself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update...
I replaced my rotors and with that an opportunity arose for me to check the listed items above. To my conclusion, the coil springs are fairly new and have been replaced some short time ago (they are nice and shinny black).

The sliding brake pads, opens up a question... Is there any brake hardware that sit inbetween the pads and the bracket they sit on?

Other than that, no other items looked like a probable cause.

At this point, my girlfriend will have to deal with it until I send it off to the shop. I just hate the fact that I have dropped $2k on the car and they have not "heard" the loud clunk. In any of those times I was at the shop...

I will update the post once there are new findings, thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New problem... :(

At 80mph the cars rpm would drop while running! I pulled over to check and the RPM went up and down!

Needless to say, after 4 months of ownership and $3k of repairs totaling up since the first day I bought it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.