Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that the new forum is just an adaption of a generic venue and probably not customizable.

I believe most changes to the forum being asked for is beyond the agreement with the developer(s) and if done would be quite expensive.

Check out this clone for Indian motorcycles - Indian Motorcycle Forum

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,497 Posts
Verticalscope the owner of this forum owns thousands of forums all running the same platform

·
Super Moderator
11,502 Posts
Can any of the requested changes be accomplished?

Or is it a "What you see is What you get"
I believe it's already been commented on community fb: update is coming ~Jan 14.

WE do not know what it contains (just generalities that may change) so we can't say anymore at this time.

AND in reference to that Indian link, VS may own that as well--boiler-plate software. We have been told our concerns are being addressed, just not as to whether they are possible/probable/not likely. Just don't know.

If you read the comm f.b. thread, there are a LOT of requests. Like with any change, we like what we were used to and want to try to get the new way looking like the old.

Look at win10 vs win7 (I know, I did ;) ), there are apps out there that make win10 LOOK like (and act like) win7 did.

Resistance is futile. We will be assimilated

·
Registered
434 Posts
Why reinvent the wheel for each forum. If companies such as Verticalscope did not produce these foras then the likelihood would be that SLKWorld would either be hosted on a forum from another multi provider or not at all.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with all of the above and am aware that; Everything in life comes with a price.

Thanks for all the replies to my original post. I now have a better understanding of how things work here.

However my point is that I, perhaps like some other members, do/did not have a good understanding of the Social world and did not know that we were using a generic platform shared by many forums which could be changed at the whim of the owners but probably not by member request.

I really had no idea that changes were coming and when opening up the forum with the new format for the first time I initially thought my machine had been hacked.

Now that I know the underlying philosophy and purpose of the forum ad revenue in "$$$", "£££" and or other currency, I will participate accordingly and keep forum suggestions/comments to myself.

This is a great comment "Resistance is futile. We will be assimilated"

Dennis

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look at win10 vs win7 (I know, I did ;) ), there are apps out there that make win10 LOOK like (and act like) win7 did.
10 is improving but I still like W7 better for certain things and have my machine set up as dual boot.

Could you point me in the direction of one of the apps you made mention of.

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,497 Posts
Dennis, some background

we were using vbulletin which is very old
the version we had was 5 years out of date and not supported anymore

·
Super Moderator
24,779 Posts
There are some deficits of being owned by ANOther.

But there are benefits too.

Bandwidth, memory, access to developers, better protection against attack.

The forum staff (Jeff et al) are not only trying to help members get to grips,
but are also trying to get items raised to make it more 'homely'.

You can raise concerns/comments for improvement here We Are Live - Community Feedback
Many posts have already been made.

Improvements are being developed & we are going to get updates made on a regular basis.

Forum staff continue to hold open dialogue with the VS staff.
Those folks that we are in contact with are striving to meet our requests,
But we are one of many forums.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts