Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 slk32 AMG that I purchased in August 2001. We do not use it much. To my knowledge we have never used the headlight washer. Today I refilled the washer tank and tried to use the headlight washers. The doors open and the little wand jumps out but there is no spray. As it has never been used I suspect the nozzles need cleaning. Could anyone tell me how to go about doing this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,095 Posts
moving to the r170 general discussion section

The diy section is for already made diys
Someone will respond if they can assist and answer your questions

·
94,095 Posts
We missed you. You haven't been here since April 2012! Hang out more!

·
94,095 Posts
The r170 experts will chime in soon on your issue.
I would suggest disconnectng the tubing going into the nozzle to rule out the blockage is in the tubing to start.

i believe a little needle can unblock them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The r170 experts will chime in soon on your issue.
I would suggest disconnectng the tubing going into the nozzle to rule out the blockage is in the tubing to start.

i believe a little needle can unblock them.
I would do that if I could get to them. One windshield nozzle was clogged and I already did that and it unclogged it. But the wands pop out, then pop back in. I've even tried quickly turning off the ignition hoping they will remain out so I could get at them. But they pop back in.

Do they return from a spring force? Can I grab them and hold them while I use a needle or compressed air on them? Or will it harm them by holding them out against their will?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I believe the cleaning jets are hydraulically powered by the washer pump. So more than likely they are actually getting fluid. It could be the jets just need to have a thin wire run through them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the cleaning jets are hydraulically powered by the washer pump. So more than likely they are actually getting fluid. It could be the jets just need to have a thin wire run through them.
So the return motion is due to a spring? So I can hold it out while cleaning? I don't want to break it.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I believe that is the case. If you watch them the way they go out and back, they do not appear to be motorized. Just spring-loaded and hydraulic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem seems to have cured itself. I got some large clothespin type clamps to hold one nozzle in the spray position. Looking at it I could see the spray hole is quite large and not inclined to clog (unlike the windshield nozzles that are smaller). After failing to get it working I finally pushed the control button hard and repeatedly. All of a sudden the sprayers began spraying and now continue to work. So I do not know what caused the problem to begin with other than the possibility of not having used them in over 10 years. As a precaution from here on out I'll use them periodically so 'they will remember what they are supposed to do'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts