Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found my first poser today on the drive into work:

I don't think the driver realized though...

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
NOT a real AMG, but the factory put the badge there. This was before they had decided to make a CLK 55.

BTW...that is the only model and years AMG badges was EVER fitted by the factory on a non-AMG engine car heading to the states. Kinda makes it rare!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more you know I guess! Kinda weird they did that at the factory even though it doesn't have an AMG engine built in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Before the CLK55 was out they had an AMG Performance Package for the 430, so the badge, amazingly, could be legit.

·
3,048 Posts
Before the CLK55 was out they had an AMG Performance Package for the 430, so the badge, amazingly, could be legit.
Funnily enough, even though they called it the Performance Package, it was just bodykit, springs, wheels, and the badge.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Know that Mercedes itself has put AMG badges on cars without an AMG engince can serve as 'justification' for people who believe that it's o.k./NOT posing to put the badge on thier car if it has an AMG package.

Personal opinion, I don't care one way or the other (I prefer the clean look with no badging at all). But the number of people I've seen on both sides of the 'argument' can use the fact that Mercedes has done it or the fact that Mercedes stopped doing it as a way to support thier side.

The whole 'posing' thing is really funny to me.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
NOT a real AMG, but the factory put the badge there. This was before they had decided to make a CLK 55.

BTW...that is the only model and years AMG badges was EVER fitted by the factory on a non-AMG engine car heading to the states. Kinda makes it rare!

No, Mercedes never put AMG on a Clk430 from factory. I bought a 2000 Clk430. Which is the first year model that came out with AMG body kit as as standard on the V8. Mine never came with the AMG badges at al.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
R170

My R170 came with teh AMG sport kit, so wheels and bumpers.
So the wheels have discrete AMG logos cast into them.
Does that entitle me to have a more obvious AMG badge on the car?

·
3,048 Posts
No, Mercedes never put AMG on a Clk430 from factory. I bought a 2000 Clk430. Which is the first year model that came out with AMG body kit as as standard on the V8. Mine never came with the AMG badges at al.
Good to know! No AMG engine = NO AMG BADGE!
That's the way it's supposed to be.

I guess all those CLK430s I saw had the AMG put on by dealers! ( I went and saw them like that at the dealer, but didn't think that dealer would do that kind of crap).

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
My R170 came with teh AMG sport kit, so wheels and bumpers.
So the wheels have discrete AMG logos cast into them.
Does that entitle me to have a more obvious AMG badge on the car?
AMG badges are essentially trademarks - MB choose when and where to add those marks to their products. They seem to follow a pretty strict line when it comes to the placement of AMG badges on cars leaving the factory.

It seems pretty clear that MB want AMG trunk badges to denote AMG built models, not general models with AMG add-ons.

I don't really think there is any "entitlement" to go outside of their intention, but nobody is going to stop you.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
AMG badges are essentially trademarks - MB choose when and where to add those marks to their products. They seem to follow a pretty strict line when it comes to the placement of AMG badges on cars leaving the factory.

It seems pretty clear that MB want AMG trunk badges to denote AMG built models, not general models with AMG add-ons.

I don't really think there is any "entitlement" to go outside of their intention, but nobody is going to stop you.
Except peer group pressure (like this thread).
No, I have no intention of fitting AMG badges; my bias is always towards debadged, so fewer people know what is under the hood, and it can be a surprise to the boy ricer (if needed).

·
Registered
579 Posts

AMG runs a monthly chat session on the private lounge where owners can ask questions to which MBUSA staff responds. Question came up regarding official AMG accessories, like wheel center caps, as an option to the (mostly) junk you can get on ebay. The AMG asst. product manager replied, no, that AMG has specific policies on how they use AMG logos on AMGs.

That said, can't imagine they'd ever slap an AMG badge on anything but the full package: hand-built engine/transmission/exhaust/suspension/brakes/wheels and performance tires/interior (seats, premium leather/door sills, etc.)/instrument cluster/AMG body trim (can be different than "sport" trim)...and so on.

For those with access to the PL, here's the link with the quote from William Vetter: http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatelounge/forums/showthread.php?t=90691&page=7

·
Long Time Member 2005 SLK350
3,697 Posts
is it true ?

a AMG has two different vin/chassie numbers and a Mercedes has one ?

if you have two its Amg unless its a stolen recovered car and the old vin was etched out and the new vin stamped next to it.

or if you just have one its a Mercedes branded as Amg

what do you think ?

·
Registered
579 Posts
a AMG has two different vin/chassie numbers and a Mercedes has one ?

if you have two its Amg unless its a stolen recovered car and the old vin was etched out and the new vin stamped next to it.

or if you just have one its a Mercedes branded as Amg

what do you think ?
My 2013 has only one VIN on the door sticker and dashboard, but I snipped this example from the PL:

"Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two Vehicle Identification (Decals) or Plates on the inside driver's door?

"AMG Mercedes has two codes: the general Vehicle-Identnr. (VIN) and a specific AMG VIN.

Your AMG VIN AMG2043771Y005528 provides the following information:
AMG = AMG (of course )
204 = series
377 = engine and body type
1 = left-hand-drive vehicle
Y = production plant
005528 = sequential number (not related to quantities)"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts