Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Wondering if any R170 owners can help with instructions on how fit the old CLK grille. A popular mod many moons ago, anyone remember how it was done, with the least amount of cutting?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,932 Posts
That looks very tidy. Having literally just swapped over my headlights that grille looks like my next step on the modification trail....

I did find this post and this elsewhere on the net. How good's your German?

Savcom

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
OOPS, where is the edit button?
You get the edit button (and the ability to send PMs) once you've made 15 posts (and allowed the system a little time to notice and register the fact).

To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

:tu:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks very tidy. Having literally just swapped over my headlights that grille looks like my next step on the modification trail....

I did find this post and this elsewhere on the net. How good's your German?

Savcom
That's much better than another post I read where they cut the bumper. There are a number of straight swap grilles available, but they 1,2,3 slats, I prefer the look of the 4 slat.

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You get the edit button (and the ability to send PMs) once you've made 15 posts (and allowed the system a little time to notice and register the fact).

To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

:tu:
Thank you!

(3 more to go) :grin:

·
2,932 Posts
There are a number of straight swap grilles available, but they 1,2,3 slats, I prefer the look of the 4 slat.
There are plenty to see on Google if you look at the images. I'm favouring the 3-slat - or even the single slat (but that looks too much like an R171...)

I'd best be gathering possible part numbers next....

·
2,932 Posts
Grille Inserted, those instructions made the world of difference. Thanks
Hi

Any pictures at all?

And which model CLK was the grille from? The W209?

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will post some of the car shortly, I know zip about MB model numbers, but after reading several old posts on the subject, and no record of which Grille was used, it seems from the pictures they were talking about the 2006 CLK (W209?) and found this on eBay listed as A209/W209.... so took a punt.

·
2,932 Posts
I will post some of the car shortly, I know zip about MB model numbers, but after reading several old posts on the subject, and no record of which Grille was used, it seems from the pictures they were talking about the 2006 CLK (W209?) and found this on eBay listed as A209/W209.... so took a punt.

Thanks. I did see two model numbers in the German PDF I referenced in my earlier post, so I'll go digging too.

Looking good though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any luck with finding a Grille? Had to fiddle about with this one to get it right with some strategically placed screws, now looking for a DIY solution to blacken all the chrome. Made a slight c0ckup and broke one of the lugs when refitting the star, so keeping an eye out for one of them, not easy to find on their own.

·
2,932 Posts
Any luck with finding a Grille?
Still looking. I've got three ebay windows open on my PC comparing SLK-only and CLK grilles side-by-side as I type this!

I'm after a 3-fin with just the chrome at the tip (see my post about one available - new - for about £80). But the sneaky wotsits seem to want to sell you the star separately for an extra £20-30 - or you butcher your old grille!! :surprise:

Yours looks good though. Well done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even more reason I'm annoyed for breaking mine, they want up to £30 for a star alone. Also have to watch the fitting, some seem to be twist and lock, some are clipped in. What about the breakers? What size badge does yours need, will your old/current badge fit?

·
2,932 Posts
Also have to watch the fitting, some seem to be twist and lock, some are clipped in. What about the breakers? What size badge does yours need, will your old/current badge fit?
They all claim you can use the badge on your old grille but without having their grille in your hands you can't work out what star you need. Grr...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can always black plastidip the chrome 4 coats + 3 coats of glossifier to cover the chrome and mask everything else.
1 can of black plastip = $6-$8
1 can plastidip glossifier = $7-$9

About an hour of your time all and all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can always black plastidip the chrome 4 coats + 3 coats of glossifier to cover the chrome and mask everything else.
1 can of black plastip = $6-$8
1 can plastidip glossifier = $7-$9

About an hour of your time all and all.
Or.......Bleach, apparently.
I see cars where stone chips have gotten through the black paint, exposing bits of chrome and it looks terrible. According to various sites, soak em in brake fluid or bleach and the chrome will bubble away, leaving bare untreated plastic.

Going to try it out on some old parts first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.