Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
*Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2003 SL55 AMG
176 Posts
Nice, have you used second relay switch in parallel with the console Up/Down switches or went for more elegant way?
I would describe it as bit more elegant than relays in that I have an (off the shelf) automatic window controller (that senses load so it knows when to stop) that communicates to the body control module through custom interface that I made that ...
senses top position (so that top will only go up or down while rear windows are down)
senses front window activity (so that rear quarters automatically raise or lower when both fronts go up or down)
reads 2 switches (up and down) for manual control of rear quarters
There was a long thread on this which I entered on page 6 here ...

DAJ190 (windscreen pictures above) also gave details on his control setup in this thread.

Cheers,
Chris

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,598 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but a relay on each main window, that power supply the quarter window sound easier. As you only copy the signal, not destructive way. What is yours?
I did say it's inelegant, in fact it's very inelegant :p

It's something along the lines of:
Start to open the roof, ALL windows down, bootlid semi-open, stop, start to close the roof, stop when roof has latched shut and quarter windows have come up by about 1/2" and at this point you'll have full functionality of the main side windows .. simples :cool: Only tried it a couple of times and it's too draughty for my taste but these things have to be tried 🤷‍♂️ 🙃

·
*Registered
176 Posts
I did say it's inelegant, in fact it's very inelegant :p

It's something along the lines of:
Start to open the roof, ALL windows down, bootlid semi-open, stop, start to close the roof, stop when roof has latched shut and quarter windows have come up by about 1/2" and at this point you'll have full functionality of the main side windows .. simples :cool: Only tried it a couple of times and it's too draughty for my taste but these things have to be tried 🤷‍♂️ 🙃
I'd say "best bang for the buck", but it doesn't cost that much :)

certainly the most cost-effective way to skin this cat. (y)(y)

·
*Registered
176 Posts
I like this. I had an s2000 and that piece worked wonderfully.
Was the install a simple drill/bolt situation?
Yes, essentially.

Holding the nut/washer(s) in place while securing it is a stretch (an assistant could be helpful here).

I have done this on a few SLK32s . I don't have any R171 experience, but I suspect it should not be a problem to install.

While not required, I made a 1/4" spacer out of ABS that I cut to match the footprint of the windscreen pedestal. This raised it a little (to better compliment the opening between the roll bar hoops) and I felt it would reduce the potential permanent dent in the mounting location.

Cheers,
Chris

·
*Registered
176 Posts
I used aircraft anchor nuts to fasten mine. It was fairly straightforward but I was fitting some bling in the form of s/s roll overs. The only problem I had was removing the pocket behind the seats. Managed to break the plastic clips.
That sounds a little different from my install experience. I did not have to remove any interior pieces ("pocket behind the seats") as I added the nuts/washers from the trunk area. It was a bit of a reach, though.

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,321 Posts
The interior bits behind seats have to come out to fit the Stainless Rollbars though ;)

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,321 Posts
thought it useful to clarify for those only adding the S2000 windscreen ;)
Definitely (y)

In fact bearing in mind a few of the threads we all get to help on I would actually say very certainly most definitely absolutely without a doubt completely and utterly 100% agreed 🤣

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230K
42 Posts
That sounds a little different from my install experience. I did not have to remove any interior pieces ("pocket behind the seats") as I added the nuts/washers from the trunk area. It was a bit of a reach, though.
Can you rivet it in? That would save me a lot of time.
:cool:

·
*Registered
176 Posts
Can you rivet it in? That would save me a lot of time.
:cool:
I won't say you can't use some pop rivets (Ø.125 or Ø.187 ) ... but I would (did) use some machine screws and nuts (8-32?). The s2000 windscreen came with plugs that fill/cover the mounting holes, so try to make sure those are included. You can often find these for less than $60 (often still attached to part of the s2000 rear-center console).

There was a time when some folks were replacing the perspex/plexi in the S2000 part with a larger piece that filled the gap between the roll bar hoops more completely ... if you are looking for greater coverage (and the fold down feature of the S2000 part), you may want to see about having a new/larger plexi made for it.

Here is a thread with pics/info about a larger plexi fitted to the S2000 windscreen. Bazzle (the author) mentioned that is was available pre-cut in multiple sizes. The pics show the large size but in some other thread (later) he mentions that he changed to a smaller (mid-size?). Not sure if he had issue with it or if it was a style preference that made him change (but worth investigating before following down this particular path).

cheers,
Chris

·
*Registered
1999 SLK230
2 Posts
Considering buying a full size clear Perspex wind deflector for my R170. Would you recommend it? From the pics I have seen of this product it doesn’t look like it has a flush fit? Does it make a big difference in comparison to the black mesh deflector which is a bit drafty. Perspex deflector fairly pricey - £125.

Would appreciate feedback from folk.
Thanks!
I made one from 1/4” plexiglass . Slapped a Mercedes’ emblem on it. Can’t tell the difference in the original. Works great.

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230K
42 Posts
I won't say you can't use some pop rivets (Ø.125 or Ø.187 ) ... but I would (did) use some machine screws and nuts (8-32?). The s2000 windscreen came with plugs that fill/cover the mounting holes, so try to make sure those are included. You can often find these for less than $60 (often still attached to part of the s2000 rear-center console).

There was a time when some folks were replacing the perspex/plexi in the S2000 part with a larger piece that filled the gap between the roll bar hoops more completely ... if you are looking for greater coverage (and the fold down feature of the S2000 part), you may want to see about having a new/larger plexi made for it.

Here is a thread with pics/info about a larger plexi fitted to the S2000 windscreen. Bazzle (the author) mentioned that is was available pre-cut in multiple sizes. The pics show the large size but in some other thread (later) he mentions that he changed to a smaller (mid-size?). Not sure if he had issue with it or if it was a style preference that made him change (but worth investigating before following down this particular path).

cheers,
Chris
TY :D

21 - 39 of 39 Posts