Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
*Registered
2003 SLK320
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Considering buying a full size clear Perspex wind deflector for my R170. Would you recommend it? From the pics I have seen of this product it doesn’t look like it has a flush fit? Does it make a big difference in comparison to the black mesh deflector which is a bit drafty. Perspex deflector fairly pricey - £125.

Would appreciate feedback from folk.
Thanks!

·
Founding Member 2006
113,396 Posts
depends where u buy em from... see ebay

all different

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230/2000 SLK230
844 Posts
I've got a deflector fitted to my SLK 170 that is full width and lower than the boot/trunk line. This gives the very best in sealing and wind deflection. It has a Mercedes logo and has programmable illumination for night use. It didn't cost anything like the amount quoted. Just be patient and search the Internet. A word of warning, though. There is an inferior version that is thinner in section and is flimsy, especially at speed. The screen I have is about 7 mm thick and is very robust.

David

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230/2000 SLK230
844 Posts

·
*Registered
734 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,304 Posts
but how much of a difference that little thing does? 😂 😂 😂
I couldn't agree more, absolute waste of time on an R170, more so on mine which spends much of it's driving time at 3 figure MPH :ROFLMAO:

I don't have an issue with wind, (well not in the R170 anyways :D) and if 'er indoors moans (often does), she can always wear a coat with a hood 🤣

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
42,005 Posts
I couldn't agree more, absolute waste of time on an R170, more so on mine which spends much of it's driving time at 3 figure MPH :ROFLMAO:

I don't have an issue with wind, (well not in the R170 anyways :D) and if 'er indoors moans (often does), she can always wear a coat with a hood 🤣
Not traversed any Norwegian speed humps lately then? 🤪

·
8,304 Posts
Not traversed any Norwegian speed humps lately then?
Now, purely for explanatory purposes one of us should by rights post the picture of the sign post here so everyone knows what the private joke is :ROFLMAO: ..........

• Helpful
Reactions: M4rCu5

·
8,304 Posts
'tis OK I know da rools ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
8,304 Posts
Of course without breaking any confidences or disclosure regarding pm's if anyone was curious, they could just google
" Norsk speed hump sign "

Disclaimer :- This action may contain material that could offend some snowflake viewers, no animals were harmed in the making of this production :D

• Haha
Reactions: M4rCu5 and BaD_81

·
*Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2003 SL55 AMG
176 Posts
I really, really, really don't want to sound like a nagging wife, but how much of a difference that little thing does? 😂 😂 😂
Sorry guys, couldn't help it!
The difference is noticeable.

I hated the factory screen as it could not be left in place all of the time (as it compromises the rear view). And it seemed to make it more windy for my passenger when the top was in place and the driver's window was the only one open.

I do not have ANY first hand experience with the large plastic pieces that seem popular, but I had heard some can cause reflection issues (in rear view) ... and I am not in love with the look, so I never checked it out for my self.

Having the rear quarters fully function gives more options for wind-control (makes a big difference over 140 MPH :) )

While some (who have never tried it) may say that the S2000 screen could not help enough ... I think it does.

Cheers,
Chris

·
8,304 Posts
I've never tried the S2000 screen, I was referring to the factory net affair, which won't fit properly with my stainless rollbars anyway ;)

However, good to know that the rear 1/4 windows make a difference at high speeds, will have to do that conversion one day (y)

·
*Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2003 SL55 AMG
176 Posts
I've never tried the S2000 screen, I was referring to the factory net affair, which won't fit properly with my stainless rollbars anyway ;)

However, good to know that the rear 1/4 windows make a difference at high speeds, will have to do that conversion one day (y)
I rarely have ANY windows up - with the top down ... I just included that info as it relates to the topic at hand.
HOWEVER, I nearly always have the rear quarters down when I have the fronts down (while the top is up) and that is where the quarter window mod really shines :cool:

Cheers,
Chris

·
*Registered
734 Posts
I rarely have ANY windows up - with the top down ... I just included that info as it relates to the topic at hand.
HOWEVER, I nearly always have the rear quarters down when I have the fronts down (while the top is up) and that is where the quarter window mod really shines :cool:

Cheers,
Chris
Nice, have you used second relay switch in parallel with the console Up/Down switches or went for more elegant way?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts