Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear Bra on Calcite White

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Stinger 
#1 ·
I’m having my front bumper and hood/bonnet replaced due to an unfortunate event last month, see “That Unmistakable Sound” post, and I’'m considering putting on a clear bra to protect the new paint. I’ve done some research here and have read where some folks love it while others don’t. Most of the posts are a few years old so I did like to get a more current assessment, particularly from owners with a 650U CALCITE WHITE car color and have had the clear bra for a few years.

Question:

Does the edge line show more on white than on a darker color?

Yellowing after a few years?

Any special maintenances needed?

Thanks

#2 ·
you've seen Clearbra on my black...
lasts for evah! never yellows
I just wax over it when i wax/polish/detail
you won't see the edge if done properly and the edge is kept clean on a white car
i have had some sections replaced though due to 'incoming'
see my Clearbra albums if you haven't

#3 ·
Use a good quality clear bra and it will last for a long time. As Jeff says, wax it also. I didn't see the line very much on mine (white car, not an SLK). I would not put it on your car right away as it takes 30+ days for the paint to fully cure. The same reason you don't wax fresh paint. If they use a UV booth to cure the paint, then they might let you do it right away. Ask your body shop guys.

#4 ·
use these

#6 ·
My 2010 is the Diamond White Edition and I have the unfortunate edge lines, not only on the bonnet but door edges and mirrors. I think it's more visible on a white car but no yellowing anywhere.
Shame on me, I've got to get it fixed.

Reactions: RNVSLK
#9 ·
I don't remember Stinger getting a clear bra....you may prove me wrong @Stinger @simplyslk

#15 ·
those do not look professional applications but put on by hand
let's see if stinger can enlighten us @Stinger

#17 ·
I did have the clear bra professionally installed. I can not remember the brand that was used but I am sure what ever brand it was was the best at the time. MK, unfortunately those edge lines have been there awhile. I checked into and those lines are actually THE EDGES OF THE 3M MATERIAL.....hence if you removed the material the lines would be gone. It is not something etched into the paint rather it is the actual edge of the material itself and it is the result of normal wear/tear and washing. When I owned the car I would go as far as taking water less car wash along with a Q-tip cotton swab and try to clean the edges accordingly. It seemed to help a little but never came completely clean. I think the only solution would be to have the bra replaced with a newer material, perhaps Xpel would be better now. Remember, that clear bra is at least 7-8 years old now. I am sure the technology on materials have come a long way since then. Or of course you could just do like me.......trade the car in for a pick up truck and an RV and then you only have to worry about roof leaks, slide motors, slide cables, water pumps, bearings, furnace, water heater, inverters, not to mention the truck as well..... :-/

#18 ·
Hey Steve thanks for the info!
We'll most likely replace ithe bra when we tint the windows!
It's really not that bad, in fact, out of all the shows that 2LOOKs been in, no one has really mentioned it!
They're to busy LOOKing at other mods!
Trade in for a pick up? geez Steve!
I can't believe you said that LOL!

Reactions: Stinger
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.