Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the current SLK owners, there's not been much mention of Meguiars products at all on this forum and many mention Zaino.

I'm just wanting to know is Meguiars good to use on the SLK because i'm not to sure on how the SLK paint is, because i read somewhere its more durable than most other manufacturers and something about an extra coat

Reason being is, i currently use Meguiars to keep my vehicle clean and it does a great job or is Zaino a better product?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have used Meguier's for years and used the NXT wax on my car when I got it. I have since started using Griot's Garage products just because they have such a large line of products that compliment each other. Not the cheapest products by any means but everything works well together.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I think there are other products that work better than Meguair's IMHO. I happen to be using Zaino as it seems to work well with Pewter. The color depth and shine is different in darker color (black, red, blue) cars as compared to lighter colored cars (grey or silver).

You may have to try a few brands and see which one suits your needs for color depth, shine, durability and ease of use.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,062 Posts
eddy, does zaino have a wax that you do not need 12 other zaino products to use/combine it with? i use their #10 leather in a bottle and it is great. ty

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
eddy, does zaino have a wax that you do not need 12 other zaino products to use/combine it with? i use their #10 leather in a bottle and it is great. ty
After the initial work (Dawn detergent wash, claybar, wash, Z5,Z6,Z2,Z6), I do the following:

1. Weekly wash using Z7 car wash, dry with microfiber cloth and then Z6 Gloss enhancer, sometimes I may skip a week here and there

2. Every 3-4 months, wash with Z7, then Z5, Z6, Z2, Z6

3. Leather-in-a-bottle whenever I remember (probably every 3-4 months).

I'm still using the inital Zaino products (Z5 and Z2Pro, using the accelerator drops) I bought for the 280 (a bit over 2 years ago). The ones I use the most are the car wash (Z7) and Z6. (They do sell three of Z7 and Z6 as a maintenance package).

·
Registered
840 Posts
My method is a little different. Wash the car and check the finish for "scratchy" contaminants. If present, clay bar the car. (I use a clay bar pad with my Griot's Garage ROB.) Use lots of lube. Wipe down and apply Autoglym Radiant Wax Polish (which is really a chemical cleaner/glaze) and buff. Apply Autoglym Hardwax and buff. Done!

Repeat at 6 month to 1 year intervals.

Autoglym is an English product, and bears the Royal Family seal of approval (this is for real, and no snake oil).

A year ago, I attended an S 2000 meet in my town, where many of the cars were "dripping with Zaino." IMO, mine looked just as good (if not better) with much less work.

I find that the wax job on my garaged cars lasts a year or more. To "perk it up" I use Aradex 4288 Spot delivery detailing spray.

The Autoglym products mentioned above are available from several on line suppliers. The Aradex product is available through wholesalers who sell to body shops, and you should be able to get your favorite body shop to get you some. Expect the Autoglym products to be priced around $25 per liter and the Aradex product to be priced around $30 per gallon. So this is not high-dollar stuff, but it sure does work.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well, of course, use what you like best on your car, and its color. Color does make a difference, you know. What I was describing was my experience on a Mars red SLK, a similar color S 2000, a Bordeaux red C 320, and a dark green truck. On different colors (and on different year's paint formula) other things may do better,

·
Registered
20 Posts
I clayed and waxed my 320 yesterday, and found the Meguiars Gold Liquid Wax a bit of a struggle, disappointingly.

I then switched to Turtle Wax Ultimate Carnuba wax and it seemed easier to apply and buff.

Anyone else struggled with the Meguiars? Or is it just me!?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I find Meguair's NXT to be moderately difficult to buff off. No nearly as difficult as Griot's Garage "Best in Show" wax, but much more difficult than Autoglym Hardwax 1.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
I love the Meguir's NXT, both liquid and clay. A little more work than the standard stuff, but a lot less work then Zaino.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hmm, I'm a big Zanio fan. It is a right pain in the arse once every 6 months or so to do the multi-coat "full court press", but I've been lucky in the UK to only have to do it every six months or so on my Jasper Blue C.

Did the full run last weekend on the SLK from clay to 2 coats of Z5 and 2 coats of Z2. Results are damn nice, and it was good therapy! :)

Took the wife out for a late night run with the top down, and we ran into some of south Louisiana's finest bugs - happy to say their remains washed off nicely the next morning...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Not particularly.

But it is always a good idea to clean and apply any wax you are condsidering to just one body pannel -- and then buff it off at the recommended time to check for difficulty of buffing as well as appearance.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
The stuff I used was Gold Class liquid wax - not NXT.

anyone find it hard to buff properly?
I had this when waxing my prior 1998 E320 and tried/switched to Zaino after learning about it on line. I started using Zaino about 27 months ago on the 280 and used the same after switching to the 55. Z5 and Z2 are easy to buff off.

What takes time is that you have to do it in layers:

1. wash and dry
2. Z6 (quick spray and wipe, ~5-7 minutes)
3. Z5 application, wait 30 minutes for drying
4. buff off (fairly easy and quick ~5-7minutes)
5. Z6 (quick spray and wipe)
6. Z2 Pro application, wait 30 minutes for drying
7. buff off Z2, again quick and easy
8. Z6 (quick spray and wipe)

Normally, I do steps 1 and 2, weekly or biweekly. Steps 1-8 every 3-4 months.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts