Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi need some advise, what do you guys use to clean your rubber effect dash, as fitted to a 171? Just tried washing it and it never seems to come up looking good, any help would be appreciated.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
dava said:
Hi need some advise, what do you guys use to clean your rubber effect dash, as fitted to a 171? Just tried washing it and it never seems to come up looking good, any help would be appreciated.
:) I use a damp, lint free, cloth. I wipe it off weekly. :) Late model year 2006 SLKs use a different, easier to clean, interior material. I would never use any "Armour All" type products on the SLK or any of my other vehicles.

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
I just use the microfiber cloth dampened. Kinda brush off the dust and dirt with the cloth.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Just the microfibre cloth here too.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Same here: microfiber cloth rinsed and wrung almost dry in clean water. Do not use on clear plastic on the instrument panel and COMAND/Audio 20, just the rubbery material only.

·
Registered
127 Posts
One trick that I have found for those occasional hard to remove white marks is electricians tape, the best being the black fabric type but the vynil will work most times. If your left with the odd mark round the door pulls or anywhere else where there is a hand contact chances are its skin residue.

Anyways, if you cut a strip of tape about 6" long and smooth it completely over the mark and into the grain with your fingers and a babys toothbrush then slowly remove the tape it brings the white stuff with it but it doesnt leave any adhesive residue. You might need a couple of goes to get it perfect. The reason it works is that the mark is deep in the grain of the rubbery stuff and you need somethong which is both flexible to reach the bottom of the grain and tacky enough to lift the stain.

After that, just tell folks to not touch a thing!!!

Portzy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
One trick that I have found for those occasional hard to remove white marks is electricians tape, the best being the black fabric type but the vynil will work most times. If your left with the odd mark round the door pulls or anywhere else where there is a hand contact chances are its skin residue.

Anyways, if you cut a strip of tape about 6" long and smooth it completely over the mark and into the grain with your fingers and a babys toothbrush then slowly remove the tape it brings the white stuff with it but it doesnt leave any adhesive residue. You might need a couple of goes to get it perfect. The reason it works is that the mark is deep in the grain of the rubbery stuff and you need somethong which is both flexible to reach the bottom of the grain and tacky enough to lift the stain.

Portzy.
That's a good suggestion. I have never had a mark that didn't come up with a quick wipe with the micro-fiber and water. I know they changed the dash material because of the concerns of marking it up, but in my experience, that is over stated.

I also like the way the original dash material looks. Almost like suede from afar but IMHO easier to maintain.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
i use a microfiber cloth with one of those citrus based cleaners strongly dilluted with water, then a rinse with clean water. it has taken off everything from scuff marks to coffee with no discoloration or other ill effects.

·
Premium Member
10,721 Posts
The SLK's interior is very tiring to get it cleaned, I lower the roof and push the seats backwards so I can clean the Floor and the mats plus the dashboard and the many panels.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Portzy.
I'll try that because I have white marks I have been trying to get rid off and I have tried everything including the special microfiber cloth and the cockpit care product that MB recommend in their internal instructions. Does NOT bloody come off! I had the door pannels covered in leather, but I think the dashboard would be VERY expensive.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
i would use a silicone based product which i apply to a microfibre cloth. autoglym interior spray. once i clean the dash usually with a dmap chamois, i use rub the spray on, gives a nice finish and keeps it antistatic for ages so no dust settles on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dash cleaning

i would use a silicone based product which i apply to a microfibre cloth. autoglym interior spray. once i clean the dash usually with a dmap chamois, i use rub the spray on, gives a nice finish and keeps it antistatic for ages so no dust settles on it.
This sounds great. More thoughts on this from anyone? I would rather drop the drive shift then clean the interior ....it scares me :confused:

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,678 Posts
use the 'search feature for any cleaning tips. also check out our sponsors section for cleaning products and tips and videos

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,678 Posts
too late. i use the meguiar gold on it!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Anothe vote for AeroSpace303 - works a treat, and adds UV protection to boot. I clean first with water and micofiber, then hit it with the 303. About the only downside is the "bigger" spray bottle tends to overspray onto the windshield...

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Anothe vote for AeroSpace303 - works a treat, and adds UV protection to boot. I clean first with water and micofiber, then hit it with the 303. About the only downside is the "bigger" spray bottle tends to overspray onto the windshield...
John(etal), try spraying the microfiber first, then do the wiping. This how I did it with my Spyder, and it works a lot better. The over-spray and "running" IS a pain :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts