Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've searched, read some posts on R170 and R171, and searched the manual, but need some education on how to REALLY clean the inside of the rear window on my R172.

My former Lexus and BMW verts allowed me to have the ignition off, move the top about halfway into the rear deck, and they stayed that way as long as it took me to clean the window -- overnight if I wanted to take that long. ;) This morning I tried the same thing on my R172 for the first time using my Keyless-Go to move the top down half way while the engine was off. All seemed well while I stepped over to the other side of the garage to pick up my microfiber towel and spray, and as I was walking back... Whammo, the top moved itself completely down into the rear very quickly, but left the trunk (boot) lid up, windows down, etc. ... was sort of like it lost pressure. It's just a GOOD thing my arm was not in where I was going to put it when that happened as I was working alone as I almost always am, and I am still a bit freaked out by it.

OK, so I'm a newbie and did something stupid. Appears MBZ uses pressurized hydraulics that may not be as robust as the more mechanical approach I had in my previous two verts -- e.g. my Lexus SC430 had 11 motors in total driving its top. So be that. What is the trick here?

-- I read about using a "broom stick" but have no clue what that is about or where I'd put what to accomplish something in a safe manner for my SLK and me.
-- Do I need to really have the ignition on, move the top halfway, and maybe it will then stay that way? I'm honestly scared to try it now seeing that top move by itself the way it did -- it could loose pressure for some other reason and chop my arm off (yes, I'm now paranoid)
-- or is there some other magic besides trying to be a contortionist, use a microfiber on a stick like is made for windshields, with knees in the seats and clean the rear window with the top up?

Thank you in advance. Mr Clean (me) appreciates your practical advice, hints and tips, and taking me by the hand while I still have two of them. ;)

(BTW, I put this in the R172 General forum, even though its about detailing, in case there is something unique to the R172 top ...but Jeff, move this please if you think it's better somewhere else. Thx)

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,737 Posts

·
92,737 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can't answer your questions, but you can take some comfort in knowing that you are not alone and that I too would like to know the answers to all the questions you posted, but was too shy to ask them as I figured I may just get told to use the search function... which I incidently did and could not find the answers with the search criteria I used.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jeff. Yes, I have one of those gadgets for the windows, just never had to use it, but will now. Thx for the pointer to the DIY... Thats what I was looking for. Will consider it, but honestly will probably play contortionist as long as my body can stand it -- just don't trust putting my arms and hands anywhere close to that moving object right now.

·
92,737 Posts
do not put knees on the seat

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do not put knees on the seat
OK. Must potentially damage the weight sensors.

I'll attach the remaining part of my broomstick to the relatively short window cleaner doo-dad and clean the window from outside the cabin. ;)

·
92,737 Posts
not weight. the heating elements in the heated seats

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
If the R172 roof functions the same way as the R171, then the engine should be running/on when one retracts the roof half-way and it will stay in position for maybe 10 minutes or longer. If one does the manuever with the remote key (engine not running), then the hydraulics will lose pressure within 5 minutes (and there won't be any warning beeps or anything) and fall forward or backward based on gravity.

You can try the John's broomstick method (and it was John aka UK-C200 that is the real inventor, ergo it's called John's broomstick :biglaugh: )

I may clean the inside part of the rear window every 3 months or so, and I use the same tool and 3-4 layers of 1-inch thick dense foam on the seat in case I forget and place my knee on the seat, although it helps that I'm only about 10 stones in weight :D

·
92,737 Posts
but turn off smarttop when you do the broomstick method

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
but turn off smarttop when you do the broomstick method
Don't have to in the R171 at least:

A. Use the center console roof control lever: Press and HOLD (NO CLICKING), like one is using the lever as the OEM function, release when roof reaches halfway or at the point where John's broomstick may be used.

B. When using the remote key, presuming one has the IR receiver in the door handle, press and HOLD (NO CLICKING) the unlock button and release when roof reaches the halfway point, or at the position where one can place John's broomstick.

When done, use the roof control lever (center console) or remote key by pressing and holding, as in OEM function.

DO NOT USE any of the methods that one associates with the SmartTop by clicking (either the roof control lever or remote key).

One can always inactivate the SmartTop as a precaution however.

·
92,737 Posts
yeah but those guys have a r172, so i suggest disabling it

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,785 Posts
I can't answer your questions, but you can take some comfort in knowing that you are not alone and that I too would like to know the answers to all the questions you posted, but was too shy to ask them as I figured I may just get told to use the search function... which I incidently did and could not find the answers with the search criteria I used.
NEVER be too shy to ask a question...'search' takes awhile to get used to. Everyone here will help you even if the question has been asked a hundred times!

·
92,737 Posts
we ask you to search but someone always jumps in or gives u a link after they search for you. very few questions have not been asked before and we like to say....
teach a man to fish....

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow. While I'm still concerned keeping my arms and hands intact while I clean my rear window on my new SLK that perhaps has too much dependence upon pneumatics opposed to their competitors from a safety perspective (my GREATEST lesson today -- thank you) -- once again the contributors and moderators of SLKWorld come through. Even for a guy that tries to research stuff himself as much as possible and not come across as a 2-week old owner (tomorrow!), this forums ROCKS as one that has the most friendly contributors, some of the most helpful content, and sponsors that I've dealt with that are here for the cars as much as their business.

I started on what to do to clean my rear window after what could have been a close call... to learning a way to keep that nutty top to not physically move, to what the real issue is with pointed pressure on the seats (knew there was something... just not what the issue was) in less than one afternoon -- from people not 100 miles from me to some way over on the other side of the pond. It's why I still try to check in a couple times a day or more most of the time on this forum, and am more than proud to have signed up as a lifetime member months ago. It was a good -- no, let me say, GREAT, decision on my part. THANKS to all, and I'm more than happy to consider myself part of your family.

·
92,737 Posts
The trunk monkey can clean the back window

new trunk monkey and compilation of older ones.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
I have this window cleaner on a plastic handle with a triangular shaped flat cleaning head that swivels. It has a microfiber covering on it. I got it at the Dollar Tree, for... you guessed it, A DOLLAR. It works pretty good. I also have one that has a rectangle cleaning head that is a little bigger. But, the smaller one works better.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts