Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I want to clean for first time my beige leather seats and I am afraid of doing that in case of harming the leather... I bought a product for leather care of the brand ArmorAll... Has anyone of you used this product on your leather or do you have any other better product to recommend me or any instructions of use?

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
I dont recommend armorall because I haven't ever used it before, what I've heard that its a budget cleaner for a luxury car like the SLK. What you need is a proper set of cleaners such as Meguiars, Autoglym and other manufacturers along those lines.

The Meguiars gold class rich leather cleaner is the adhesive that I stick to whilst cleaning the slk, its a cleaner and conditioner in one bottle making the SLK's leather clean, soft and supple whilst still having that original matte leather look rather than it being too glossy and sticky.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
+1! Avoid the armorall and go for Zaino (it's a two step process) or the Meguiars. I think the Meguiars actually "softens" the leather more than the Zaino.

Neither leaves the leather "greasy" or "shiny".

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
x3, use products from manufacturers like Lexol, AutoGlym. A 2-step process (although time consuming) where you use the leather cleaner first followed by leather conditioner may work better if you're doing this the first time. Test in a small area first. There are also products that combine cleaner and conditioner in one bottle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Nena
I've just cleaned my red leather seats with Autoglym leather cleaner after a week's intensive use in blue jeans. I was a bit worried that the blue dye would be difficult to remove but it has come off really easily. I think the trick is to clean them often with a good quality cleaner and keep them well fed with conditioner
Chris

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Hi Nena
I've just cleaned my red leather seats with Autoglym leather cleaner after a week's intensive use in blue jeans. I was a bit worried that the blue dye would be difficult to remove but it has come off really easily. I think the trick is to clean them often with a good quality cleaner and keep them well fed with conditioner
Chris
exactly and that is by turning the towel clockwise slowly and rubbing till the blue dye peels off, I had the very same problem with the jeans I wear on my cayenne ( beige interior ).

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just had the seats recocovered in my 13 year old r129 the guy who did the job was an old school tradesman and the quality of his work was phenominal.
I asked him what to use to look after the seats and he said the best thing to use is a non perfumed hand cream and trust me this guy really knows his onions

·
Registered
194 Posts
How are the zaino leather products in comparison with the lexol and autoglym products? I'm planning to get the zaino kit and it includes the zaino leather cleaners so I was wondering whether it is worth going for lexol instead.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
How are the zaino leather products in comparison with the lexol and autoglym products? I'm planning to get the zaino kit and it includes the zaino leather cleaners so I was wondering whether it is worth going for lexol instead.

I use the Zanio on my C (ash leather) and the SLK (black). The cleaner works very well, and the conditioner leaves the leather supple but not "slick" or "greasy".

I used a friends Meguiars, and as mentioned before, it seemed to actually soften the leather. Can't comment on the lexol or autoglym from personal experience. One of my good friends uses Lexol on his BMW and swears by it..

I ended up with the Zaino as it came with their kit, and am very satisfied with it so far.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
OK well then I will use the Armorall that I picked up last week on the Smart car (cheap and over-priced leather), and pick up some Lexol or Meguires to use on the Merc. Thanks to all for the advice.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,365 Posts
OK well then I will use the Armorall that I picked up last week on the Smart car (cheap and over-priced leather), and pick up some Lexol or Meguires to use on the Merc. Thanks to all for the advice.
Did you get the Armorall that is specifically for leather? If you got the type for vinyl, do not use it on your leather seats as it is really oily feeling and looking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cleaning perforated leather seats on R170 model

Most of the good leather cleaners are cream based such as `Meguiars Gold` but these block the perforated holes on the leather seats on the SLK model R170 which looks terrible. I have been looking around for a clear liquid type cleaner but have not had much luck so far - can anyone recommend anything ?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Most of the good leather cleaners are cream based such as `Meguiars Gold` but these block the perforated holes on the leather seats on the SLK model R170 which looks terrible. I have been looking around for a clear liquid type cleaner but have not had much luck so far - can anyone recommend anything ?
Look above.......... ;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
In this discussion, I feel that "leather cleaner" and "leather conditioner" are terms that have been used interchangeably. For example, the Meguair's Gold that I have is a conditioner -- not a cleaner, and it really requires the use of a cleaner first. No true cleaner I have seen is thick so as to get into the holes in perforated leather. The thick Meguair's Gold mentioned above is a conditioner, not a cleaner. For best results with it (on non-perforated seats) you must use a leather cleaner before using it.

For best results, begin with the leather CLEANER of your choice (I use Lexol in a spray bottle). After cleaning, use a GOOD brand of conditioner. I like all the brands recommended by posters above, and I'll add one more -- Malco. It is very much like the Meguair's Gold, except that it is a bit thinner so it won't get into perforations. It also contains neatsfoot oil and mink oil in emulsion, so it will brighten up dull leather very well.

ArmorAll brand got a very bad reputation when its VINYL conditioner it had sold for decades was found to actually CAUSE cracking and splitting. This company sells other different products now, including cleaners and conditioners for leather, and newly formulated products for vinyl. I have no experience with these newer products, but I (personally) just don't trust the brand after the situation with their original vinyl cleaner.

In closing here, I think you will like anything made by Autoglym, which has been recommended by other posters above. I would not use ArmorAll -- not even on my Smart -- not even on my 11 year old truck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.