Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cleaning the flat black plastic "hat shelf" behind the seats

Sorry I don't even know its official name but it is the horizontal plastic behind the seats and includes the roll bars and runs back to the rear windshield. It remains exposed when roof is in trunk. Whatever it is called mine had a small spot on it and I wiped it clean. I decided to wipe the whole piece with Armourall and my cloth came away grey. The first time I thought maybe just dust collected after a few years but I did it again a few weeks later and my cloth came away grey again. Am I removing a coating? I am curious as to what this material is and how to clean it.

Gordon

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,846 Posts
Hi Gordon. Never use Armorall to start. It is very greasy. I use Meguiar's gold leather conditioner or Meguiar's interior detailing and my cloth comes away gray also. But been using it on 3 slks since 2002 with no adverse results.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
With the roof retracted, the "hat shelf" gathers dust easily even after one day. I use a damp microfiber cloth to clean and may treat the shelf every few months with Aerospace 303 (light coat).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was in the automotive industry for years (supplier if interior plastic trim parts) most of the stuff in the slk is talk filled polyprop, any 'tinny' sounding bits ABS/polycarb. The clear bezel front is acrylic. During proto builds and pre production builds the engineers put you through hell just trying to get the interior parts as matt as possible. I just cant bring myself to put silicone after market products on, was never the look they designed. Damp soft cloth, very light rub.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Another +1 for 303.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Old thread I know.

Any ideas how to get rid of this damn bird muck stain from the shelf?

It was there when I got the car. I thought it would be easy to hide but no matter what I do it keeps coming back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
~~ During proto builds and pre production builds the engineers put you through hell just trying to get the interior parts as matt as possible. I just cant bring myself to put silicone after market products on, was never the look they designed. Damp soft cloth, very light rub.
Agreee it's a old post...
But Yepp, damp microfiber cloth to clean all that road dust off.... :tu:

·
92,846 Posts
and then use this

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Jeff,

Could you please post an exploded diagram of the hat-shelf and the two triangular pieces either side? I need to know if the metal catches on the side sections are detachable.

Thanks...

·
92,846 Posts
i will see if i can find what u desire :D

·
92,846 Posts

·
92,846 Posts
Dave dbgrn will check wis for you i hope soon

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Jeff,

Those diagrams help quite a bit. My problem is that the 'bow' on my passenger side flap has somehow been bent downward, so that it doesn't securely locate into the hook on the main shelf. Now, when I go over a pothole, the side flap disengages from the main shelf and rattles like hell. At the meet last Sunday a few of us looked at the problem, but because the 'bow' is slotted into plastic sockets on the side shelf, we conclude that any attempt to adjust it in situ would break the plastic sockets. Antonio (Delucas) suggested that applying heat from a hairdryer might make it possible to remove from its socket and then adjusted in a vice - but it seems to be bonded into those sockets. I was hoping an exploded diagram would indicate if it's considered a separate part. I think not!

If anyone knows differently or has experienced a similar problem...

·
92,846 Posts
so buying a replacement piece is not an option?

·
92,846 Posts
well if u need any part numbers, let us know

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Apologies for the delay, had to get to my laptop to be able to check WIS, and even then I'm not sure whether what I've found is useful or not (my lack of technical knowledge on the subject). Here are some diagrams and instructions on the rear shelf and side flaps (and at least one that mentions the 'bow')...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts