Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching and didn't find any answers.

What do people recommend for cleaning the polycarbonate panoramic roof? Specifically the inside. Is it safe to use regular glass gleaner and a microfiber towel?

And do people recommend waxing the outside? I don't wax my windshield like some do, but I'm not sure if the polycarbonate is more prone to permanent water spotting and therefore waxing it may be a good idea.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
If you have a see-through roof panel then I think it's glass. The polycarbonate roof was the original solid painted panel that you couldn't see through and delaminates if you left it in the sun.

To clean the inside any proprietary glass glass cleaner is fine (vinegar also works well if you're tight-fisted/Scottish) and I do wax the outside but I have also noticed that the seat gets wet or I get a shower depending on where I am when I open the door BECAUSE I have waxed the roof and the big droplets roll off into the cabin. Not good!

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
1,372 Posts
If you have a see-through roof panel then I think it's glass. The polycarbonate roof was the original solid painted panel that you couldn't see through and delaminates if you left it in the sun.

To clean the inside any proprietary glass glass cleaner is fine (vinegar also works well if you're tight-fisted/Scottish) and I do wax the outside but I have also noticed that the seat gets wet or I get a shower depending on where I am when I open the door BECAUSE I have waxed the roof and the big droplets roll off into the cabin. Not good!
The original polycarbonate roof on the r172 was clear, and the painted roofs were metal. Fairly soon they switched to all polycarbonate roofs some clear, some painted. After the polycarbonate problems cropped up they switched to all glass roofs.
Since the OP has a USA 2012 model, he most likely has a polycarbonate roof unless it has been swapped for a glass one.

·
Registered 2015 SLK 55 AMG
128 Posts
Hey, great to see another Apex SLK owner on here. We need to get a Triangle group together sometime.

Here's a thread I started a year or so ago: Caring for your glass panoramic top.

My top is glass, and I use regular window cleaner on mine (Invisiglass?) and then treat with this Griot's product. Works for me.

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
1,372 Posts
I definitely have the polycarbonate top. So my original question still stands...what's the recommended way to clean the polycarbonate top?
Before my polycarbonate roof was replaced with a glass one I cleaned it the same way I cleaned all the other glass on the car.
Other than normal car washing I just used Windex and microfiber cloths.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm...I assumed mine was polycarbonate. When you tap on it, it definitely has a much more plastic sound than when you tap on any other glass surface. Doesn't sound at all as if I'm tapping on glass. The data card shows "415 Glass Roof (roadster)", but the delivery date is 10/5/11. From what I'm reading, they didn't start delivering them with glass until many months later. If there a more definitive way to determine what I really have?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, as I mentioned, the data card says "415 glass roof" but it sure doesn't sound like glass when you tap on it, and the other posts I'm reading say that MB didn't stop shipping the polycarbonate until several months later after the cracking issue showed up. Mine shows a delivery date of 10/5/11, so it's a very early build. Also, some of the other posters have said the glass top has a blue tint, and mine is not at all blue - more of a very dark smoke tint. I'm just wondering if there are any other visual clues I can use to determine what I really have.

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
1,372 Posts
Yes, as I mentioned, the data card says "415 glass roof" but it sure doesn't sound like glass when you tap on it, and the other posts I'm reading say that MB didn't stop shipping the polycarbonate until several months later after the cracking issue showed up. Mine shows a delivery date of 10/5/11, so it's a very early build. Also, some of the other posters have said the glass top has a blue tint, and mine is not at all blue - more of a very dark smoke tint. I'm just wondering if there are any other visual clues I can use to determine what I really have.
The datacard for my May, 2011, build r172 states: 415 GLASS ROOF ROADSTER, also.
And mine definitely had the polycarbonate roof which was replaced with a genuine glass roof in January of this year.
And, yes, the clear part of the glass roof has a blue tint to it.

You should check yours for internal stress fractures as mentioned in the other threads the Jeff posted since you may be eligible for a glass roof replacement.
There were no recalls for this and I've not seen Service Bulletins for it, either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.