Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never had the nerve to do this with my slk seats. But now that I have the z4, im pretty fearless. I have cream colored sport seats and I wanted a cinnamon brown. Today the hubby helped me with the heavy lifting [getting them out of a convertible sucks fyi, make sure you have enough room on both sides of the vehicle to manuver them out. You may have to go up and out [yes over your head]. Anyway-up and out they went. While they're out im going to address some issues with the disgusting grimy seatbelts, and the light spots on the leather trim. A clean cotton cloth [not microfiber] and alcohol cleaned the seat belts great. I used another clean cloth and more alc. on the plastic trim all around the cab and the back walls, it worked like a charm. It got all the grime off the woodgrain trim kit as well. When I was done I noticed drops of liquid on my leather trimmed parking break. I broke out the olive oil and another clean towel. Worked like a charm, couldn't believe it. I did the center of my steering wheel, and the dash. Everything will be photographed tomorrow, im leaving the seats over night to dry because I did an entire color change instead of a patch job.

And did I mention I found the original buyers guide, spare plastic key and original vehicle sticker under the passengers seat? it would have been nice to know that after I had it shipped up here from floriduh.

Attachments

·
Registered sold both-> SLK350, SLK '55
996 Posts
The color looks nice but can not see clearly because of low res.
What are you going to do with the rest of the interior?
Dismantle or paint as is?

Tapatalking

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The color looks nice but can not see clearly because of low res.
What are you going to do with the rest of the interior?
Dismantle or paint as is?

Tapatalking
I really wanted to change the color-however that project is no longer on the table. I was going to change the interior to black-but now no way I have 2 jobs and no time. Some people are skilled at the car diy stuff. If I can leave it on and mask off the parts it would be fine but even that takes time. I just finished reconditioning the leather etc after they spent the night drying. They don't look new by any means but they look "good" for using nothing but a can of colorbond paint and leather cleaner [to make sure my clothing doesn't get any surprise streaks in the crevices of the leather etc. So I wiped it down one more time to make sure everything was dry, then finished it. I'll take more photos when I put them back in. Hindsight is always 20/20. I suggest when changing a color in the future, to properly strip them, then use regular seat paint, not an aerosol can, it just takes much more time. but I was comfortable with it, because I'd used the application before. It looks "so easy" in the videos. It takes time, but it can be done :)

·
Registered sold both-> SLK350, SLK '55
996 Posts
I feel very insecure with youtube videos as it seems that most uploaders are after "views" and not good and solid advice.
Many times I consider doing a color correction to our A class that has problems from day one (bad material right from the factory / black seats that have now faded to soft grey) but always read a horror story from people who tried that and just live with it.
Please report back after some time so I build the courage to do this.
Thank you.

Tapatalking

1 - 4 of 4 Posts