Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a right royal pain in the proverbial to clean the 17 inch rims on the 350. The Car wash doesnt clean it completely and i clean it by hand.

The back wheels are ok but the fronts have to be cleaned with moving the car forwards or backwards and cleaning the rim which is clear off the brakes.

Is the cleaning any easier on 18 inchers? Have to say that it is a bit tiresome and am thinking about getting pads which "dust" less.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
It is a right royal pain in the proverbial to clean the 17 inch rims on the 350. The Car wash doesnt clean it completely and i clean it by hand.

The back wheels are ok but the fronts have to be cleaned with moving the car forwards or backwards and cleaning the rim which is clear off the brakes.

Is the cleaning any easier on 18 inchers? Have to say that it is a bit tiresome and am thinking about getting pads which "dust" less.
:)My wife's SLK 350 has the same wheels in 18". I can completely clean both front and back wheels, including inside, without moving the car.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,291 Posts
I clean my 18 5 twin spokes daily and knock all 4 off in under 10 mins total.

procedure:

wet paper,rag, etc
do inside of rim around
do lip of rim near tire and spaces in between
do each spoke big area
do each spoke inside each little area
do mb symbol amd outer spokes

maybe because I do it daily, it does not get a chance to get dirty

·
Registered
506 Posts
A labor of love

This is a labor of love. I use a HAAN hand steamer I bought from Amazon dot com for about 65 USD. It makes the dust easier to remove with wheel cleaner and narrow brush. I polish as much of the area as I can reach. The polish helps subsequent dust wipe off more easily. But, I also wipe the outer parts of the spokes after each drive. I have 17" AMG 5 spoke wheels. :tu:

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I use Meguair's wheel cleaning solution. It's a non-acid product that is safe for clear coats and painted wheels, diluted 1:4 in a spray bottle. This is available in pre-diluted form at most auto stores or in one-gallon concentrate from auto detail supply places. I spray the diluted solution unto the rims and clean them with worn/old household sponge and home-modified wheel brush before washing the car body.

I've modified a wheel cleaning brush using the one used to clean refrigerator cooling coils (available at Wal-Mart, Target or similar stores). Been using the same brush for more than three years on the 55. I cut the thin tapered end of the brush and re-attached the rubber tip securely. Use only gentle strokes to clean the rims and it will reach the whole depth of the rims and the brush has a small enough diameter to clear the space between the caliper and the rims. Others have used a soft brush used by motorcycle enthusiasts to clean the nooks and crannies of their engine. See also Brian_74"s post on how he cleaned the engine with the same soft-brisled brush.

See photos below. I am still using the same gallon-sized concentrate bought several years ago.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
When they are clean, get a nice application of car wax (paste) on them and then they will clean up lots easier, as this will keep the dust/dirt from adhering so tenaciously.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.