Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you keep your wheels clean for brake dust??. It seams like this is a 24/7 job.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Whatever you use to clean the paintwork. The wheels are diamond cut in most cases and any harsh chemical will eventually wreck the wheels. There is nothing special about brake dust as a contaminant, you just have to keep on top of it. So yes, it's a 24/7 job keeping them clean.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,876 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,876 Posts
I never have brake dust through 3 SLKs and 14 years.
Of course I clean my car every day :D
5 minutes on your wheels daily will eliminate all brake dust

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
That might be OK for you guys in the UK, BUT here in the states we drive our cars a LOT.

We have massive traffic congestion EVERYWHERE..a very small island, with a massive population, only a half a dozen decent motorways (is that freeways where you live?). We'd love the opportunity to drive our cars a lot, but it ain't happening cos we have more cars than roads. So many cars in fact, our motorways frequently become car parks. :frown: >:D.

Seriously, brake dust is a nightmare. Hope you get a solution, cos I sure could use one too.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
That might be OK for you guys in the UK, BUT here in the states we drive our cars a LOT.
I do 40,000 miles per year across 3 cars. Unfortunately there is no replacement for hard work. If you want clean wheels you have to keep at it.

Strong chemicals seem like a quick shortcut but they all damage the surface. If you think about it, the wheels are lacquered just like your paintwork. If you wouldn't use alloy wheel cleaner on your paintwork why on earth would you use it on your wheels?

Good wheel brushes are a must though. Wheel Woolies are the best by miles. The angled one is great for doing the back of the wheel spokes.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Coating them with something like Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour helps protect them and makes cleaning easier.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Ceramic pads seem to work well, but I still wash them weekly.
I replaced both the front and rear brake pads on my R172 SLK 350 with ceramic pads and that eliminated the brake dust problem for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use a pressure washer which gets rid of virtually all of the grime, dirt, and brake dust without using any chemicals

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use a product from auto glym, alloy wheel protector.

You clean your wheels thourouly, then spray the product on, let it dry ( 20 mins)
Keeps them clean and so much easier to clean when you have too.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
I use a product from auto glym, alloy wheel protector.

You clean your wheels thourouly, then spray the product on, let it dry ( 20 mins)
Keeps them clean and so much easier to clean when you have too.
I use another Autoglym product to clean the brake dust - Autoglym Clean Wheels. That seems to do the trick with loosening the dust when cleaning.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Scrubbers of the world, Unite! Cleaning the wheels weekly with a soft-ish brush and some car wash detergent does the trick and keeps the brake dust under control.
Stone chips can be a pain and I managed to 'kerb' my passenger-side front wheel. Found a good repair man locally (WheelWorks, Carmarthen) and he did a great job.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How do you keep your wheels clean for brake dust??. It seams like this is a 24/7 job.
After you have washed your wheels thoroughly, you will need a very soft nylon bristle household brush to keep them dust free.

However, this only works on dry dust, and I should add that brake dust can be deemed a hazardous product

Johnb20

1 - 19 of 19 Posts