Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually drive around with my climate control in the "AC Off" mode by pressing the "AC Off" button, causing the red LED on the button to light up.

On this 03 230 I recently acquired, I've noticed that more often than not, when I move the blower selector to the "0" position, the red LED will tend to flicker on and off for a bit...sometimes eventually staying off & sometimes eventually staying on

I've also noticed that when the LED remains on that there is still air flowing out of the vents, and that if I jiggle the blower control switch a bit, the LED will go out & the airflow out of the vents stops.

So my guess is that the blower control switch either needs to be cleaned or replaced. Has anyone done either & can offer some ideas/tips?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So here is the item in question (the "N19 Module, #10 on the diagram, A 170 830 11 85).

All the controls are integrated into the unit, but it appears that the knobs are removable..any idea if there's a place behind the knob where I could squirt in some contact cleaner to see if that does the trick?

Otherwise I think it's a 500USD+ part from MB.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I managed to get the knob off of the control, but it was on there pretty well. I had the best luck by using a thin plastic panel tool and a small screwdriver on the "thickest" part of the knob (where you grasp it to turn it), one tool at the top & one tool at the bottom. Trying to pry around the outside edge gave me the distinct "this is going to snap" feeling.

Also, when replacing the knob it looks like you'll need to be very careful that the tabs on the end of the knob's shaft are as close together as possible so that they both engage in the small hole in the switch. I think it would be very easy to misalign the tabs & straddle the hole (leading to that "snap" feeling again.

Anyway, after getting it off, it looks like there is a small hole in the upper right hand corner where I could spary some contact cleaner. Or I could try
spraying a bit down the center & around the edges of the hole where the knob goes. No idea if this switch is totally sealed or not.

While contact cleaner ought to be relatively harmless (as long as I manage not to overspray it onto the plastic trim), I'm a little reticent to just go spaying it aimlessly about. Based on what I saw on buellwinkle/r170 site, this N19 unit appears to have a fair amount of intelligence (based on all the other inputs it gets), so I don't want to go messing it up, either.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi

I won't do any spraying in that place . . .

these knobs work with air pipes behind the panel,
you should have a look behind the panel and check these pipes

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you're right about the knob that controls which vents the air comes out of. But I'm pretty sure the blower speed adjustment is an electrical switch...that's the one I'm concerned with. It certainly feels like it's stepping through contacts as I turn it.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
I had trouble with mine, and it wasn't really the switch, it was the regulator located in the footwell. Let me see if I can dig up an old link...

Okay, found them:

Link one
Link two

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! But, after reading these I'm not sure that we're having the same problem. In my case, I can alternately cause/resolve the issue by jiggling the blower control knob a bit while it's in position 0.

I just re-attached the knob to the module (without spraying any contact cleaner)...let's see if it still acts up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts