Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 SLK 320 R170 and love it so much!
Since its my first I'd love to maintain it as long as possible.
So here's my question...when do modifications change the car so much its no longer a "classic?"
Realize it may be personal preference in this requested answer but I'd love to know what y'all think!
McSLK

·
* Premium Member
No SLK
16,470 Posts
Nothing wrong with installing Mods on your Pride and Joy as long it is tasteful and suits the car and easy to remove if you want to sell the Car.IMHO

Here are some that might not look soooo classy.:grin::grin:

·
Registered
373 Posts
you're absolutly right, when it comes to mods, it's going to come down to personal opinion on what's "too much" there are people out there, that think getting weather tech floor mats is too much, or changing out your head unit is too much. it all depends on you. i recently participated in a concourse d' elegance with my local chapter of the MBCCA. i didn't win anything, and got marked off a lot for all of my modifications. but whenever i get together with the tuning guys, and other people that like to modify cars, my car always seems to get a lot of looks and people asking about the mods. for me, when i get a car, i buy one based on what it has to offer from the factory. from there i like to modify it to my taste. im a young guy and i like my vehicle to be performance oriented. i've lowered my car on coilovers, in addition to having set very stiff. i have very aggressive wheels and tires, a loud straight through exhaust, a fully gutted trunk, in addition to other various bits and pieces. to many people this is "too much" but to me it's not enough lol. i think it comes down to what you want, and how you're going to be using the vehicle. hope this helps!

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,422 Posts
On the other hand, I too participated in a show hosted by MBCA in conjuction with both Audi and BMW last year. It was a concourse show called "Legends of Autobahn". I entered my car in a new class in the show called Performance and Motorsports, of course I did not expect to win. Having said that, my SLK took First in Class! At this show I think that the judges not only took into consideration overall aesthetics as well as performance enhancements but also the attention to detail and cleanliness of the car.

My car is debadged for many reasons, one of which is IMHO it is no longer the car that the Mercedes Engineers had envisioned but rather the improved SLK that I had envisioned. Bottom line, I agree with the Berliner. Keep it in good taste and have at it! Ask yourself, "is it possible that Mercedes Benz might have done this but overlooked it for one reason or another?". If the answer is "Yes", you have not crossed the line.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,627 Posts
Removable Mods

Removable items are the easy way to mod without fear of de-valuing your car.
Bulbs, Aerial, SmartTop, Wheel colour (cost to return to original), etc:grin:

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,627 Posts
Nothing wrong with installing Mods on your Pride and Joy as long it is tasteful and suits the car and easy to remove if you want to sell the Car.IMHO

Here are some that might not look soooo classy.:grin::grin:

I do like that bottom one, did it start out as an SLK?.........

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the car is going to be an appreciating classic then, for me it should be reversible, not sure the SLK is right car but I think the subtle mods of the day can work well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.