Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,320 Posts
This may be a daft point to make but have you tried cleaning the socket? With the ignition off, try some contact cleaner and use a wooden spatula or stirrer to scrape the contacts on the sides and the base. Don't use metal implements or you could do some damage.

Savcom

Reactions: robherrera

·
*Premium Member
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,320 Posts
Another thought: If my memory is correct, the socket is only live when the ignition is on, so test the socket with the engine running. This confused me when I first got the car because on my BMW the socket is permanently live.

Good luck

Savcom

·
*Registered
1997 SLK230
109 Posts
Here's another thing to check: years ago a socket in a car I had at the time suddenly stopped working, and after months of annoyance I decided to have a look at it...turn out to be a Tic-Tac jammed in the bottom of the socket, out of sight! Pulled it out with a pair of tweezers and it all worked again. Basically, it was preventing the plug from going all the way in and connecting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where is the fuse?

My lighter is dead also, I can't figure out where the fuse is, what is the number and location. I don't want to start pulling random fuses and then having to unlock the radio. Previous owner left a penn in the socket:frown:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just joined this forum because I had the same exact problem. Fuse is OK (after I saw this video telling me which fuse it is:
) but like robherrera said, I get light in the glovebox also so the problem is in the lighter itself.

As a workaround I ordered this cable from ebay and use it to charge my phones.

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts
Just joined this forum because I had the same exact problem. Fuse is OK (after I saw this video telling me which fuse it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXGr2AMdSi0) but like robherrera said, I get light in the glovebox also so the problem is in the lighter itself.

As a workaround I ordered this cable from ebay and use it to charge my phones.
Thanks for your post

just an fyi...this thread is 3 years old :D

·
Founding Member 2006
113,460 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.