Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All little things popping up...just glad all little little things... 1st Map light goes easy easy fixed... now I don't smoke but the cigarette does not work Won't stay down when I push it in... even if I hold it down for a while really still not working... Like I said I do not smoke only need it for the 12 Volt air compressor to put are in the spare tire if ever needed to change tires if I have a flat... Any ideas? Is it the cigarette Lighter itself... of the unit I push it into?
Is there a easy fix? Ot should I just care a can of the flat tire fixer and use it if I have a flat but then again how will I get air in the small spare tire unit.
I have a 2004 SLK 320 R-170 with 91,000 miles...

Thanks

jnc1948 Charotte NC

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
All little things popping up...just glad all little little things... 1st Map light goes easy easy fixed... now I don't smoke but the cigarette does not work Won't stay down when I push it in... even if I hold it down for a while really still not working... Like I said I do not smoke only need it for the 12 Volt air compressor to put are in the spare tire if ever needed to change tires if I have a flat... Any ideas? Is it the cigarette Lighter itself... of the unit I push it into?
Is there a easy fix? Ot should I just care a can of the flat tire fixer and use it if I have a flat but then again how will I get air in the small spare tire unit.
I have a 2004 SLK 320 R-170 with 91,000 miles...

Thanks

jnc1948 Charotte NC
Do you have 12V there? If not, I suspect the fuse.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Yes 12 volt..... but even when I push the lighter down it won't stay in by itself.....

jnc1948 NC
Hmm, not sure. As a non-smoker I do not have much experience with the lighters. I would try one from a different vehicle if you can and see if that does it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
On many cars - the lighter isn't supposed to stay down. On them you have to hold it down for a few seconds. If it doesn't warm up in a few seconds - you might need to change the element in the lighter. Many Auto Parts Stores used to carry replacement elements. They just screw in/out. All are 12 volt, but not sure they all require the same amps...

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
On many cars - the lighter isn't supposed to stay down. On them you have to hold it down for a few seconds. If it doesn't warm up in a few seconds - you might need to change the element in the lighter. Many Auto Parts Stores used to carry replacement elements. They just screw in/out. All are 12 volt, but not sure they all require the same amps...
Current shouldn't matter as long as it is under the threshold of the fuse.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,124 Posts
good grief.. yet another thing to try out later on today...

Yes, it is a good idea to know if the cig lighter works BEFORE needing the connection in an emergency situation...:wink:

UPDATE:

OOOps.....Turns out we do NOT have cig lighter or an ashtray.. obviously we are both non-smokers as never noticed this before...

but we do have the standard din power point and YES it does work :grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine doesn't work either, so I can't use it to plug in phone charger. Luckily, I can charge when it is plugged into the stereo; however, that doesn't help if passenger also needs to charge. I'd like mine to work, too. I might check the fuse.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,384 Posts
As you just purchased this car suggest you take it to a MB dealer and have service "A" done. This is oil change and filter, plus a good inspection and they will check for any recalls and service campaigns and do them at no charge if there are any. They will suggest items that they want to do, just say no and make note for doing yourself or find an Indy to do it for less. The good thing you get by spending $100 or more is free limited roadside service for 18 months. If you have a flat just call the MB 800 number and let them change it. Will cost around 200 by worth it and you do not need to do a oil change for a year or 12k which comes first.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my ciggie lighter wont stay down but the phone charger Thanks for your input it works...

jnc1948 NC

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The good thing you get by spending $100 or more is free limited roadside service for 18 months. If you have a flat just call the MB 800 number and let them change it. Will cost around 200 by worth it and you do not need to do a oil change for a year or 12k which comes first. So your saying I can get road service from them for free? So I could call them to come and change my tire and it will cost me
200.00 for a flat tire exchange to put on my spare?

jnc1948 NC

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,480 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.