Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this post so I posted it here.

I once owned an '04 Chrysler Crossfire SRT. Under the hood it was a SLK32 AMG. A few years ago I took on a STI Subaru and smoked him off the line. I was 2 car lengths ahead of him in 4 seconds or so. Having that kind of power under the hood was too much of a temptation all the time so I sold it and bought a sensible V-dub Passat with a 2.0L Turbo. Unfortunately I went to far the other way and realized I wanted to have a little fun so I bought the '06 SLK350 I now own.

It certainly doesn't have the power of the SRT but definitely will keep the pulse beating at an inordinately higher rate. Haven't got any kills with it yet. Maybe because it looks too fast for anyone to challenge ,e.

Slew Rate.

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,980 Posts
Give it time....some nut will try to race you and will be embarrassed in the end!

·
Registered
390 Posts
There were no 2004 SRT6 Crossfires. They were only in general production for one year, 2005, about 2,000 coupes and 900 roadsters were built. And then in 2006 a small handful were made on "special order only". The 06's are very rare.

And they can be made very fast, very cheaply. They can easily be as fast or faster than an SLK55 because of the conservative forced induction from the factory and a 3,200 lb curb weight. For about $600 and 20 minutes of work, you can change out the supercharger pulley. For another $1,000 and a couple of hours of work, you can improve breathing on the intake side. And then for about $500 you can have someone like EuroCharged apply a tune to the engine. You end up with just over 400 hp and 390 lb/ft of torque in a car with 3,200 lbs to haul around and bigger tires than an SLK55. All for around $2,000 and very little time. Personally, I think Daimler/Chrysler's swan song for the R170 platform (in coupe form) was a better car than the SLK32. The 5 speed automatic was bulletproof. None of the problems the 7G-Tronic is famous for.

What you'll never get rid of unfortunately is a very dated interior and a ragtop with a glass rear window that's guaranteed to come unglued. And the recirculating ball steering while not as horrible as the press made it out to be is not as good as the R171 or R172 rack. I had a coupe and I loved the hatch configuration. I miss being able to reach over the seat and grab my sunglasses from my backpack while underway. But not nearly as much as I missed being able to put the top down while driving the SRT6 coupe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry my bad, it was a 2005 SRT. It wasn't a convertible but a coupe. I didn't realize it was faster than a the slk32 AMG. Under the hood if you took off the engine shroud it was labeled as a AMG and Mercedes labels where everywhere. Great car. It was also a bit smaller than the SLK350. My head had about 1 inch of clearance with the roof. The car was certainly fast stock. I won every light to light.

Thanks for the info

1 - 4 of 4 Posts