1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had recent success with Burdi's Motors just outside Chicago in
Schiller Park. They are a small family owned and operated indy that seem
to be honest, straightforward, and fair. I've never been to a repair shop that
has pizza and sodas in the waiting room. Not only did that wash my car at my first visit but they detailled the interior and exterior as a courtesy. They repair Mercedes' exclusively and do body work also. After bad experiences with other independents and dealers, I'm cautiously optimistic. . . :tu:

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I have had recent success with Burdi's Motors just outside Chicago in
Schiller Park. They are a small family owned and operated indy that seem
to be honest, straightforward, and fair. I've never been to a repair shop that
has pizza and sodas in the waiting room. Not only did that wash my car at my first visit but they detailled the interior and exterior as a courtesy. They repair Mercedes' exclusively and do body work also. After bad experiences with other independents and dealers, I'm cautiously optimistic. . . :tu:
Like the pizza idea - have they got the toys (sds etc.) and knowledge to do the job properly?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Mmmm Chicago pizza...nothing like it in the world!
Can you tell I'm originally from Chicago?

Enjoy,
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Gino's East, Uno's (the real one), Jake's, Lou Malnati's...yeah, I'm getting hungry.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lovin' the pizza replies. . .could be the makings of a poll: deep dish or
thin sliced, fav toppings, ect. but how to apply it to SLK? Yrs ago, I asked
if pollers would smoke a cigar in their SLK. . .maybe a question about eating
pizza in an SLK:bannana:

Good question, Woolly, about competence. These guys mainly work with older Mercedes. What they lack in experience and knowledge about the SLK they seem to make up for with dogged determination. They have contacts/friends who are technicians at some of the dealerships; also, they took one problem to the MB tech school in Itasca, IL. Problems thusfar (more than a few) have been resolved, although not as quickly (perhaps) as they could be. However, they have knocked fees off, in one case repainting and repairing a door bang at no charge to make up for their lack of timliness. Also, they will deliver my car to my home 15 miles away for no charge. Don't know about the toys. . .

·
Registered
58 Posts
I actually went to grade school with two of the Burdi sons and I currently still live in Schiller Park, IL. They are a great family, but I have not used their shop for my car yet. They do have a good reputation from what I hear, but I believe their expertise is in some of the older models. Great to hear you had a good experience with them and that they worked hard to resolve all issues.

I have used North Shore Auto Rebuilders in Chicago for some body work after a minor accident, and those guys were great. The shop is run by two brothers named Wally and Bernie and their shop is Mercedes Benz Certified. Just thought I'd mention another good shop for our cars in the Chicago area in case anyone is interested.

Sway

·
Registered
636 Posts
check out Salernos in Brookfield...best on the planet.
I used to live in Brookfield then moved out to Naperville/Aurora area before moving to Chattanooga,TN.

Salerno's was good, but I liked the original Brunetti's pizza on 31st better.

Gino's East, Pizzaria Uno and Due's and Lou Malnati's are my fav's when I go home to visit.

Enjoy,
Dave

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, this thread keeps veering toward pizza (indicates where
readers' minds are). Therefore, in addition to the FINE entries
offered up from Chicago ex pats out there, let me plug
Giordano's Deep Dish Pizza. . .Yum!

Speaking of 31st Ave in Brookfield, I got pulled over
last summer just west of Brookfield Zoo on an open stretch of 31st w/ a 35mph limit. Cop was waiting in the Forest Preserve Parking Lot and nabbed me cruising at 50 mph (how can you not). Think he understood and appreciated: tells me he just got an emergency call and didn't have the time to ticket me. Funny, he drove off w/out lights or sirens!

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Naperville, IL

I'm throwing new life into this thread please.

I am a 48 hour old SLK mom. Since it's 10 years old, and there is no mechanic in the house, I took it to Naperville MB. I am not aware of any private shops in the area that are capable of doing any kind of repairs to the new girl and it needed a thorough 100k check up anyway [wasn't the timing for the old owner..purely coincidental? lol..lucky me!].

I digress with excitement.. anyway back to the points at hand..

1. I could use a good local referral please, I have a 2003 320.
2. Naperville MB PRICE MATCHES all other MB dealerships. And believe you me, first get a list of what needs to be done and then get on the phone and call every other dealership to get the best price. NMB will match every one of them. I shaved $400 off my bill!!!
3. I was given a laundry list of items that "could use" repair. In order of safety first, front ball joints were at the top of the list. Now mind you, this is aside from the coolant flush, schedule B service, and a few other items I had them check today.

And then he tells me "we think the spark plugs are original, but they are in good shape". Is that EVEN POSSIBLE with 100k miles????

Any information is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I grew up on the North side suburbs..Morton Grove, Evanston...We loved El Forno, s pizza. Could smell the place from the house and it was carry out only.

MB repair.....clueless but yummmmm pizza.

And Sarkis Grill in Evanston!

Sorry....carry on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts