Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow forum members,

I'm currently checking out this SLK 55 available at a Phoenix dealership. It has the right mileage (low, that is) and a nice color combo. The only true concern I have on this car is the wheels, which are hideous in my opinion but at least the dealer is willing to work with me on getting an OEM set or maybe work on price to find a happy medium.

As far as doubts about this car, I'd like to know how much should I expect to pay for a Service C, and what kind of aftermarket warranty should I go for if I decide to get it.

You can see the car here:

http://WWW.FRONTLINEAZ.COM/inventory/view/3177031

Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions.
Andres G

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,151 Posts
service c is a little bit more than A but can run as high as a B. in florida, A service is about $240, B around $350. things are extra like cabin filter and windshield wipers. hope this helped

·
Registered
414 Posts
Wow! I should move to Florida. Service B is $500 here in Tacoma! On the plus side, it does include a "free" loaner.

I checked with a local indy shop and they were actually a little more than $500 for a B and it didn't include a loaner or even a drop-off back to my house 3 miles away.

Needless to say, I'll be sticking with the dealer on this.

BTW, OEM wheels? $$$$$! Aren't they something like $1,200 per wheel?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,151 Posts
ahhhh black car is beautiful.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Check out posts from Durkatlon on OEM 18" AMG wheels from across the pond. Even after taxes and shipping it was still "within reason", and they were brand new.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,439 Posts
Ruleman if you want to have the car checked out before you buy bring it to my local Indy Shop here in Phoenix German Auto talk to Erik let him know you are a friend of mine he will give the car a good go thru don,t know what it cost you but i have been dealing with them for 15 year. I trust them 100% the number is 602 274 3747 they are north on Camelback off 7th Str. Pls let me know if i can be any help since you from out of town.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Andres, Welcome from Virginia. Nice SLK 55. Has the dealer given you any idea what they want for the car? I agree, the chrome wheels are too much, especially on a black SLK. Those wheels are actual Mercedes optional wheels. They're call Sadachiba and are either a two or three piece multi wheel. They are 18" and staggered size would be 7.5" wide, 37mm offset front and 8.5", 30mm offset rear. They look much better in silver. Plenty of nice aftermarket wheels available in 18" & 19" for SLKs. Do a search on eBay for some ideas. The SLK 55 you're looking at is well optioned and indeed low mileage for a 2006. One other plus, two new style chrome key fobs which cost about $180 each. Good luck in negotiating a good price if you pursue the car. Here's a pic of the same wheels in silver on a black SLK.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
That had to be the ugliest wheels I've seen by in year 2011. My gawd.. If the previous owner put that on his/her slk55, I would stay away from that car.. :( Obviously the owner didn't care about the car or style.. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been seeing that car on e-bay for weeks, I would assume that they are ready to move unit already. Low miles and a clean carfax, could be a decent buy at that price. I recall that they were asking 33,900 on e-bay.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,944 Posts
One thing that I noticed in the pictures are strange screws in the steering wheel just outside where the buttons are that control volume etc. I have no clue what those are supposed to hold in place...

Other than that it looks like a nice car, and the dealer sure knows how to photograph it well. Wow! Not a big fan of those wheels, or any chrome wheels for that matter.

As etyu mentioned you can get 18" OEM wheels from alloywheelsdirect in the UK for almost half off the price of buying them from a dealer in the US (even including shipping). Both myself and another forum user (DaytonaJae) got our wheels there and in my case I had the local Benz dealer install them (along with other bits and bobs I was replacing at the same time).

Here are the stock SLK55 wheels:

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mercedes_alloy_wheels/slk_class_r171_alloys/18_amg_v_16_spoke_wheel_235

And here are the "Sport Pack 2" wheels that are the ones I ended up getting. Forum users jbanks15 and DEV7 have these on their cars as well. I think these are a nice upgrade from the original 16 spoke 18"ers:

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mercedes_alloy_wheels/slk_class_r171_alloys/18_amg_iv_wheel_522

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ruleman if you want to have the car checked out before you buy bring it to my local Indy Shop here in Phoenix German Auto talk to Erik let him know you are a friend of mine he will give the car a good go thru don,t know what it cost you but i have been dealing with them for 15 year. I trust them 100% the number is 602 274 3747 they are north on Camelback off 7th Str. Pls let me know if i can be any help since you from out of town.
Thanks. I will reach out to you if I get closer to making a deal with them. I still have to sell my wife on the two tone interior, as she seemed a bit iffy when I showed it to her the first time.

That had to be the ugliest wheels I've seen by in year 2011. My gawd.. If the previous owner put that on his/her slk55, I would stay away from that car.. :( Obviously the owner didn't care about the car or style.. :)
I agree the wheels are horrific in chrome, but I wouldn't go as far as considering an owner to be neglecting the car for such thing. All I can do is thank him for giving me a leverage point to bargain with the dealer.

One thing that I noticed in the pictures are strange screws in the steering wheel just outside where the buttons are that control volume etc. I have no clue what those are supposed to hold in place...
I have already seen several wheels with the same screws in place. Actually, the one on the right is a plus sign and the one on the left is minus sign. I imagine they are there to remind you which of the shift buttons on the back of the wheel will change gears up or down.

I am still debating which wheels I'd get for the car, that is again, if I end up getting it. The ones I definitely want to have are the SLR's, or maybe a set of BBS LM's (Although I got to admit the factory wheels are pretty nice in my opinion).

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
I still have to sell my wife on the two tone interior, as she seemed a bit iffy when I showed it to her the first time.
:tu:Best interior color choice IMO, other than some fancy Designo options.

I have already seen several wheels with the same screws in place. Actually, the one on the right is a plus sign and the one on the left is minus sign. I imagine they are there to remind you which of the shift buttons on the back of the wheel will change gears up or down.
:tu:Correct.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Here are the stock SLK55 wheels:

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mercedes_alloy_wheels/slk_class_r171_alloys/18_amg_v_16_spoke_wheel_235

And here are the "Sport Pack 2" wheels that are the ones I ended up getting. Forum users jbanks15 and DEV7 have these on their cars as well. I think these are a nice upgrade from the original 16 spoke 18"ers:

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mercedes_alloy_wheels/slk_class_r171_alloys/18_amg_iv_wheel_522
Wow, that's a great site! You almost get four wheels for the price of two!

It's about $2,600 incl. shipping for my 55 wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
The only true concern I have on this car is the wheels, which are hideous in my opinion but at least the dealer is willing to work with me on getting an OEM set or maybe work on price to find a happy medium.
I agree the wheels are hideous... OEM set is a good idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
True, great website indeed... although the OEM SLR wheels are still ridiculously expensive (10K pounds for a set of four).

Still, I just realized they are just too wide to fit the SLK anyway. Instead, I found these replicas I'm considering... only concern is size. Would these specs be the right fit?

Wheel size: 19X8.5 FRONT / 19X9.5 REAR
Bolt Pattern (PCD):5-112mm
Wheel Offset: +35mm
CB: 66.6

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,944 Posts
Those look like the same ones that Todd157k has on his. He had to cut his down in order for them to fit. You might want to send him a PM to see what the deal was exactly.

http://www.slkworld.com/tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/10920-show-me-your-wheels-4.html#post254611

True, great website indeed... although the OEM SLR wheels are still ridiculously expensive (10K pounds for a set of four).

Still, I just realized they are just too wide to fit the SLK anyway. Instead, I found these replicas I'm considering... only concern is size. Would these specs be the right fit?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice find, thanks!

Durkatlon, I believe Todd157k had obtained the OEM wheels and had them cut and welded to size, as the original size for the SLR is 9 in on the front front and 11.5 in on the rear.

I'll keep that in mind anyway.

Thanks again,
Andres G

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.